1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not looking forward to going to work tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blazer, May 15, 2011.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Werkplaats2.
    Okay this is the main workshop at Knooren handcrafted with which I have been for over 13 years and counting. It is here where we do or repair jobs and assembly jobs. We have a pin router and a band saw in the secondary workshop.

Now normally I love being there and working on guitars, basses and upright basses. Tomorrow however, will not be a day I'm looking forwards to.

Because last friday, my boss' oldest son had his 16'th birthday party and with my boss attending the music college as a teacher and my collegue working on bodies at the pin router in the secondary workshop it was up to me to clear EVERYTHING from the workshop.

The birthday boy and several of his friends were promised to help me out but they made such a mess of it that I dismissed them. (Teenagers, you get the idea.) And basically cleared out the whole thing myself. But before I left I told my Boss' wife that the one thing I would let those kids do is mop the whole thing. She agreed, saying that after all my hard work I had earned my break.

Having said that, guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

Yup that's right, somebody has to bring everything back in again so we can continue our work.

murphy likes this.
  2. I have no sympathy for you. You sir have one of the greatest jobs in the world.

the harp unstrung and Jim Nazium like this.
  3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    No sympathy here either simply because working means you sometimes get asked to do crap you don't like.

MonetBass likes this.
  4. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Hey, even the greatest job in the world has it's downsides, allow me at least the right to gripe about them. 8)

And moving that heavy cast iron table you see on the far left is no picnic, heck YOU'D complain too.

charlie monroe and murphy like this.
  5. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I complain all the time, don't worry, I'd sure do :p

6. As long as you've got some bitburgers, life is good--i suggest opening the first one after you move all the DBs though ;)

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    waaaaaah, I have to go to a job that's fun, where even the unglamourous stuff is better than 90% of other jobs out there...waaaaah.

;)

Trouztrouz and shadowtippy like this.
  8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I've been off two & half weeks
    Two more to go.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I had to stop working years ago due to a permanent disability. I'd kill to have a full time job I enjoyed. Hell I'd kill to work 10 hours a week in a music store. So yeah, no sympathy here.

10. TJ55

TJ55

Jun 5, 2010
    KY
    You'll get zero sympathy from me either BUT you have every right to b**** & moan if you want. I love to complain. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling ya know?

the harp unstrung likes this.
  11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Hmm . . . sounds like work.

12. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    Quit bragging.

the harp unstrung and Gaolee like this.
  13. I was happy to work there in 2013 and also try Jan's bass guitars. Wish I got that job then... but didn't speak local dialect.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I thought for sure this bump was the work of the TBOT archaeologist, @Funky Ghost.

-Mike

15. On one job I had to work with the owner's son. He was ridiculously irresponsible & would leave us hanging on a job while he took 3-hour lunch breaks.
    It was so bad we had to start driving our own vehicles to the job sites to avoid being abandoned there by him.

When I complained about it to the owner he said, "40 hours is 40 hours!".
    I dropped it & began looking for another job.

murphy likes this.
  16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Well it WAS excavated by a fellow Sacramentan (sic) so, you know, Ghost by proxy :D

S-Bigbottom and MJ5150 like this.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    There's some truth to the 40 is 40.
    I worked for a company where the owner allowed flexible schedules. Sure enough, the people who worked traditional hours and took traditional lunches cried about the people who didn't.

-Mike

18. I wish I had that job, man.

19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Bah! Teenagers!

20. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    I've been a skilled tradesman for more than 40 years- when I retire I'm going to get a more creative job.

the harp unstrung likes this.