Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not loud enough :(

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickv, Feb 13, 2005.

1. nickv

nickv Guest

Dec 22, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Hi, I play through an ampeg svp preamp to a beringer 1500 power amp which powers an ampeg 2x10 and an ampeg BSE15. With my system peaking i can't even play over my guitarist with is mesa boogie f100 not even turned up half way. I'm sure i'm supposed to get more out of my cabs... is it the power amp? Why is my stack so weak? Suggestions please!
    Thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can't get over 100 watts of Mesa? Big surprise. You need 1,000 watts to compete. Not just the amp, but the cabs that can handle it. Start there and work your way up.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Cutting the bass and boosting the low mids will help, but personally i'd get rid of your guitarist if they are using a 100watt mesa rig at practice and its loud enough that your setup can't compete. Otherwise you will both end up deaf.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah, a friend I play with over the summer uses a Blue Angels 2x12 combo, either 50 or 100W, he turns it on and at like 8 oclock it's crazy loud....

Ray

5. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    You've got about 1400 "B-watts" of power potentially.

Is the red light on the amp coming on? if not, you aren't getting max power for some reason.

Which SVP have you got?

Lots of ways to hook it up, and all different powers

If the cabs are 8 ohms, parallel them (daisy chain) and connect up for bridge mono. You get your whole 1400 B-watts.

If you run them on each channel separately you only get 520 B-watts. And you have to figure out how to parallel inputs to the channels.

If the cabs are 4 ohms, you HAVE to run them one per channel, and you get 900 B-watts.
    B-watts are like Peavey watts.....someone once saw that much power in the lab, so they wrote it down and made it the spec........at least that is the legend. Maybe they really do make power...

6. Jim York

Jim York

Oct 27, 2004
    Go to www.billfitzmaurice.com, order the Tuba 24 plans and build a sub that will have that guitar player looking for a place to hide. If you can't build it yourself have one of his builders do it for you. More watts is not the answer, higher efficiency and better frequency response is.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i sometimes feel like im lacking in volume. my drummer hit sreally effing hard, and our two guitar players have been using full stacks lately. im usually cranking my svt 3 pro to just fill in the low end, let alone hear me. i need a new amp.

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Or two new guitarplayers and a new drummer. Loud and hard isnt good for the ears. Musicians ear plugs might filter out some of the highs of the guitar and drums and let you hear yourself better. But take it from me, you want to protect your ears as much as you can.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i wish we could get a new drummer and one new guitar player.

however, i do wear ear plugs when we play. i just need more watts!!!!

10. I dissagree, a lot of people see loud-ness as automatic dismissal, but just because you're loud doesnt mean the people arent genuinely nice, great to work with, create great music, paying for some sweet headphone type earmuff things is well worth keeping a sweet band together.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I hate practicing at high volumes, cos either you get the occasional wanking-off from the guitars, or it's just noise. If they're so great to work with, tell 'em to turn down, you'll be doing many different favors for the band, and all the ears included.

Ray

12. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Forte to pianissimo (sp?) and everything in between is what I want to hear when I play with others. If it's all loud all the time then it's not much fun. But hey, I'm getting old . . . .

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Nicky? That's my wife' monicker! :) Hey, I agree with the suggestion to cut the extreme lows and boost the "low mids" instead. That'll probably get you more "perceived" power out your rig (ie more volume). That would be a good place to start.

But, I also agree with Munji, that when it comes to bass playing, watts are essential. My "small" amps is 1200 watts (that's a WW Ultra), and I drive a pair of subs through a Stewart 2.1 (2100 watts). That's the kind of power you'll need to compete with someone who's using a Marshall stack. Not even to "compete", just to "be heard". And with a loud drummer, crank up the volume a little. :)

It's all about dynamics. In the world of bass playing, you can achieve a steady drone with maybe 400 watts or so, but people won't really be able to hear what your doing, dynamics-wise, until you're up in the kilowatt range. That's been my experience so far. :D

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    What impedence are your speakers?

Are you running your amp stereo (or parallel input) or bridged mono.

What are the wattage ratings on your cabs?

I personally think you may have to replace your 2x10 with another 115 or 4x10 but then I'm biased that way.

:)

Joe.

p.s.

Are your cabs/cones in phase?

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I'm not being an ass, but I only play with 200W into a 1x12 and 1x15, and I'm heard plenty loud enough (2 1/2 stacks - Randall and Marshall), and it's no steady drone ;).

Ray

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I use a 540 watt Gk head through an AMpeg 4x8, and I have no problems being heard. If I really want to be heard, I play through a hartke 410 and the ampeg. I have never had a problem being heard. Though I do play against 2 fender combos. You may want to check your setup for problems as far as connections go. That rig should be able to move some air. You could also try standing back a bit from your rig. I used to have a problem hearing myself, but nobody else did. So I moved back, and I heard myself loud and clear.

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I agree. I used to raise my amp off the floor and stand close to it thinking I must be able to hear it better if I'm this close to it.

But the opposite is true. It takes low frequency sound waves a bit of space to develop and the closer you stand to your speakers, the less percieved volume there is.

I put my cab right on the floor now and stay the perfect distance away from it and it gets unbelievably loud.

For practice you should try setting up your amp/cab across the room from yourself and see if that helps.

18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Really? You're a better man than I. :D

What kind of rig are you using? Do your guitar players "turn up"? How about your drummer?

I use 1200 watts into the identical speaker configuration, a Bag End S-15 on the bottom and S-12 on top, and I can barely be heard. To get volume, I have to add more speakers.

I guess you can tell we play "loud". :D

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, we don't play that loud durning practices, but during gigs we obviously play loudly, and I use the same setup. Look in my "dorm room rig" thread (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165251), that's what I use. The only time I have problems is at bigger gigs (500+) or outdoor gigs, but in both of those cases, we have good PA backing. For those who don't know, I play in an 80s Metal band, so you know we get loud at gigs. It's the Ashdown's ;). They rock!

Ray

20. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i have a 150 watt combo and our guitarist has a 100watt marshall!!

i have the master up full and the gain on 2
    its not watts it were ye put everything
    we jam in a rooms 11"x14" and its fine... watts aint everything..
    just cause you have it you dont gotta use it