Not Loud Enough

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oreo, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Oreo

Dec 26, 2005
    New York
    I have a G-K 1001RB and an Acme B-2 and I can get the perfect sound I was looking for out of it. I planned on adding a second B-2 in later so I could use the head to a more full potential, but it looks like I might have to upgrade sooner than I had planned. It's just not as loud as I had expected it to be, its great for just practicing by myself, not too bad for band practice, but as far as playing out it's really not enough to fill a decent sized room.

I'm pretty sure a couple of others have this same set up, or something like it, and I'm looking for a way to increase my volume while I wait until I have enough money to upgrade again.

Also I've been considering either getting the second B-2 because it really is a good cab, just not quite strong enough on its own, OR getting a nice 15in to put under the B-2 I already got....any opinions?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You need more speaker area. Maybe try a 410 from acme, and have a matched speaker stack.
  3. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    If you have your low frequencies raised too much on your EQ it can suck the power from your mids / highs, on account of how much power low frequency notes require.

Fiddle w/ EQ?

But then again, more cabs are better, too. :)
  4. Oreo

Dec 26, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, I generally try to get the LOWEST sound I band actually tunes the E down to C, then A down to F, and so on. I've played around a bit with the EQ and the bass actually isnt up that high for as low as it sounds, its more of a low yet slightly treble-ish sound...if that makes sense.

Basically this thread should probably be more about whether I should get the second B-2 so I can maintain the exact sound I want, or get a 15in (maybe an aguilar). I've actually played through two B-2's before, but it wasnt my rig so I didnt get a chance to play around with it much. One think that was obvious, though, was how powerful it was!
  5. AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Add a second B2, and maybe get a separate power amp for it as well if its still not loud enough.
  7. IMO, if you're downtuning, grab a 15" box. Get something that's ported, and has a big box, that'll give you the best low-end response without having to crank your low frequency response on your eq.
    For me, when I play with just a 4x10, I feel like I have to turn up the bass to get a good bottom end, but when I add a 15, I have to attenuate the bass to keep my pantlegs from flapping too much.:D
  8. Have you ever tried the acmes man ? I've never heard a 15" with that kind of bottom end. Not just any 4x10...
  9. brisonic

brisonic Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    You really shouldn't have to fill a large room, thats what a PA is for.
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I dunno bout you or the thread starter, but most of my gigs have no PA support, except for vocs. Oh, and Acmes get more low end than most 15s I have used.
  11. Oreo

Dec 26, 2005
    New York
    See, thats the thing, with the Acme you dont really need anymore low end, and I dont need t crank my low frequency response on my eq. It's just the way they play! I only brought up the 15in because another musician had suggested it and I was looking for more opinions.

I think I'm going to go with a second B-2 and should be fine, thanks guys.
  12. BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    IF there is a good PA.

I play in a downtuned to C band, and It is difficult pulling the volume i need to put up with 2 half stacks and a 8pc drumset, Even with my 700 watt peavey head and a 410 and 15, although i don't really like my peavey 15, it weighs a ton, and doesn't really put out the bottom that it should. my ampeg 410 gets loud, but without boosting some bass, the low c sounds a bit thin.
  13. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    I have a B2 powered by a Stewart 2.1, and a week ako I used it at a small bar (about 50 people there, with a seating capacity of about 80), wasn't playing too loud (or so I thought), and I ended up blowing both woofers. What's worse is that I ended the gig just fine (I guess I didn't hear TOF :confused: ), and thought everything was ok. At the next rehearsal, when I plugged in, that's when I noticed that the woofers were creased (overexcursion, right?). And then totally lost the woofers after a few notes.

Now I'm thinking I should've gotten the 2nd cab, and saved myself the trouble of having to order new speakers, etc...

I tried other, more efficient cabs, but I just can't find any other cab that sounds like the B2...