Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not my lion

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Thought you guys might like these pics.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    This bass was down at the convention. A Bernadel I believe.

3. When I spent a day visiting the top luthiers in Paris with TB's Olivier, I was told it was common practice among even the big names to subcontract the scrolls to furniture makers.
    Indeed, some makers subcontracted the entire bass while they worked on more profitable violins and cellos. Georges Apparut, for example, and don't tell Charlie Haden, but they said the same thing about Vuillaume.
    The guy who put the false label in my bass was clever enough to have it say "fait sous la direction de (?) G. Apparut."

4. I was lucky enough to be present at a recording session with CSO principal clarinetist Larry Combs and a string quintet. The bassist, CSO's Brad Opland, had a gorgeous Bernadel with the lion's head. I took some pics--I'll try to dig them out and post them.

I talked to Opland and despite my strong hinting (bordering on pathetic groveling), he didn't let me anywhere near the bass, let alone allow me to play it. Don't blame him.

5. Out of curiosity, are these scrolls carved seperately and then joined to the neck? Or are they "integral?"

6. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    All the ones I have ever seen are integral. BTW, I found out that this bass went for 50k in Richmond.