Not normal compressor question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Harrell, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Well, I don't think this is your normal compressor question anyway...

I have a Alesis Nanocompressor.....had it forever it seems, and I'm thinking of going to another (better) compressor. Will prob go with a dbx model, but anyhoo.....I have to turn my alesis on before any of my other equipment, and turn it off last or it'll blow my amp. Manual states this, and I know it'll happen because I did forget once and had to ship my 800rb back to GK for surgery.

So my question is this....are all compressors like this or did I just get lucky with my previous choice?
  2. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    you have alwaysa to turn ON in the order of the signal and turn OFF the other way.

so for turning ON is bass-pedals-pre-any proces (comp)-power amp

and when turning OFF you turn of first the power amp
  3. ALL EQUIPMENT is like this, or at least, best practice should always be like this.

To turn on, start at the guitar and finish at the amp, to turn off, start at the amp and finish with the guitar.

It's also good practice to keep your amps volume turned down when turning on or off.
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Especially something in the loop! I'd imagine that a big thump at the amp input would be clipped-off at least somewhat by the pre and tone shaping circuits, but that effects return is pretty-much right at the power amp gates/bases!