Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not overly bright or dull tapered 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ryan morris, Dec 14, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ok, I need a new set of strings for my warwick. I can't stand the sound of stainless steel strings. I don't like the metallic sound. I want a woodier tone. I need the smallest guage possible for 5 string set (around .040-.120) in a tapered b string. It doesn't matter if it's round, quarter, flat, tape. I just don't want it to be too dull in the upper notes. Thanks, Ryan

2. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    imo on your next set you might want to try nickel plated steel. I've been thinking about trying pure nickel to loose a little brightness myself but like you I dont want to loose too much. Would welcome any opinions on pure nickel.

3. Try a set of nickel fenders. They sound great, and have a pretty long life. I used them all my basses except for the fretless.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've found that warwick yellow labels and dean markley nickel steels are great nickel strings, but my faves are d'addario slowounds...the slowounds, by the way, are the only set with tapered strings. d'addario doesn't have the guages you're looking for in a set, though, so you would have to order them individually, and you also can't get a string in a .120 diameter. you still may want to check them out, as they are awesome strings.

5. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I was considering fender pure nickels 7150ml but they dont make them for 5 string. I'll probably try the slowrounds if you think they're less metalic sounding than the XL's.

6. GHS Progressives .045 to .135 round wound tapers on my RB5. Last a long time, hold a tune very well. They are pure nickel Alloy 52 which is very magnetic and kind to frets.

7. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I found some Ken Smith Bass Burners in the size I quested for but have not put them on yet because the Warwick strings have lost a lot of their overly-bright noise. I'll have to let everyone know what they sound like when I get around to putting them on. If they aren't the sound I will have some other ideas on which to purchase. Thanks, Ryan