Not Publishing Schedule?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 20, 2012.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This isn't a "whine about my BL" thread; although it is about an approach my BL has. I joined this project a few months ago and have been gigging steady ever since. My BL sent me a schedule of gigs when I joined so I know where we're playing. However, I couldn't find anything online as far as a schedule. His FB will have an Event every week with the gigs for that week, but he doesn't publish a longterm calendar with shows.

He's been busy booking for the upcoming year. I asked him last week if he was planning on publishing a schedule online for the upcoming year. He said that he doesn't really like to that, because he doesn't want other bands following our schedule, calling up clubs, and then undercutting us. We do draw well and leave almost every club we play with a smile on their faces.

Of course, the argument is, well if you're a good band, you shouldn't have to worry about being undercut. With that said, we all know that some club owners are idiots and don't understand the difference between "inexpensive" and "value." So they'll book a band for $100 less because they think they're saving money, and then wonder why their bar is only half full.

On the other hand, I couldn't fathom not having a least a monthly schedule published somewhere online. The people that come out to see the band range in age from early 20s to 60s. While the older people may not be plugged into social networking stuff, the younger ones definitely are. I'm not pushing the idea, because this is a hired gun situation. I'm not as personally invested in the band as I would be in a band that is mine. However, if it were my band, I would always have a least a monthly schedule that it's easily accessible. My last band gigged for almost 10 years. We always had some sort of schedule published somewhere and never had a problem with someone coming in and trying to undercut us. To me, it's like the whole fear of someone "stealing your setlist." It's just tilting at windmills, IMHO.

Thoughts?

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    My new band has a schedule calendar online that only the members can access.
    I dont know how our rhythm guitarist/IT guy set it up, but it works!

3. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    If he's the BL and keeps you gigging steady, I wouldn't open that can of worms. Sounds like he's experienced it before. New Years gigs booked well in advance are notorious around here for other bands trying to undercut. I'm somewhat guilty of that practice.......

4. my band is selective of what gigs we post and when. we dont want someone say9ing they'll come to this gig, then being like "well they're playing next month, i'll wait til then" urgency yields better results for us.

5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    This has become a good, bad, or ugly issue locally with bands. We are a very well established band that has been around for 1 years. We play most of the best venues and events. We have been putting our long range schedule on a website as well as handing out printed schedules.

Well, my band, and some other established bands, have experienced exactly what the OP references his BL stated numerous times involving several bands and it is affecting the booking situation with several clubs and events.

One band in particular was brazen enough to admit they were doing it after they asked for one of our printed schedules to "come and see us play", we found out they contacted every venue that I worked hard to get and they even stated to some club owners and managers that whatever they paid us, they would play for less without knowing what we make at those venues.

The other side of the issue is that many of our followers want to know where we are playing and it is beneficial for us to publish our schedule.

6. Really depends - you want an active schedule of things that help your reputation

Zero calendar is just lazy marketing

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's pretty much my approach. Like I said, I'm a hired gun, so I'm not really personally concerned about it. I just found it kind of an odd way of approaching marketing the band.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021