1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not quite a gig report - Kesslari with Wavelength @ San Gregorio General Store 12/1/19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kesslari, Dec 1, 2019 at 10:42 PM.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I say not quite a gig report because I don't have any pics of the band playing :rollno:

TL;DR - I filled in with a "Van Morrison Tribute" band and we did NOT play "Brown Eyed Girl"!

Not quite a tribute band - Kevin (the singer) grew up with and played with Van Morrison, and can sing his butt off as well. Mostly VM tunes, but some Dylan, some old Irish and Scottish songs, and a few odds and ends. Richard, the multi-instrumentalist from The Fusion Cats, got me the gig, and he played guitar and trumpet. In addition to Keven (singer/guitar) there was Gary (sax and flute) and Mike (percussion). All good cats, all fun to play with.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 10:48 PM
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    The rains have started and my "on the way" pics reflect that. The place is 18 miles (as the raven flies) from my house, but it takes an hour (winding mountain roads) to get there.
    601C00C2-3936-4F7B-B57F-6C34FBC43A59.jpeg 58CA35D5-057E-48C0-A685-57B8D43CB378.jpeg 36FFB1C3-6BC8-40EF-B0F0-EE96235A1451.jpeg
    The San Gregorio General Store is a funky, cool place. Part bookstore, part general store, part bar. The building dates from the 1850's, I'm told.
    511E98FA-6CA8-4DAD-8FFB-2B37A6D22518.jpeg

9C485A82-FFB9-42E0-924D-A22A0F293809.jpeg

Richard, Mike, and the owner of the place while we set up.
    You can see my teeny bass rig (MAS 18 and Mesa WD-800) in the back, and the neck of my bass photobombing the pic from the left side.
    D29FCE21-45B3-4BD9-B3E0-D41DB96F25DA.jpeg B325EDC8-36E5-437D-884E-F42C4C46D6F8.jpeg
    Kevin at the bar with a regular. The band plays here monthly, and have quite a following. People dug the music and had requests and such.

3EF12914-E1EF-4819-BFCC-4EDC53E6F5D4.jpeg E364317A-3A6C-4B3B-A3A2-9C347B78A397.jpeg
    There isn't much food, but the drinks are strong.
    A04552F0-D8E9-4E19-9B71-5C33809CED24.jpeg
    Mike (percussion) with his daughters.
    E6A7007C-D7E3-46E1-AEAC-82E6D765085B.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 11:28 PM
  3. Digging it!

nixdad, kesslari and Bunk McNulty like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I like quirky, funky places. This seems very eclectic.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Looks like a fun spot with an appreciative audience. What more could you ask for!

Also, and without meaning to cause any offence or anything to your percussionist, his daughters are both absolutely beautiful-looking women.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 3:39 AM
    Sore Thumb, Spidey2112, MCF and 3 others like this.
  6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    great "not quite a gig" report. i love the tip jar in the foreground :D

MCF, kesslari and Bunk McNulty like this.
  7. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Booze, books, and live music. It says "Yes" to me!:thumbsup:

Also a reminder that I really want a Virginia Woolf candle.:D

8. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Very Cool! I swear, California has its own style on things. The inside of that store is unlike anything you'd find anywhere else.

9. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Cool little store! When I used to do longer bike rides to the coast, it was one of the few places to get water and food, especially during the summer.

funkytoe, MCF and kesslari like this.
  10. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I love that place. Not far from Half Moon Bay/La Honda on the coast. Great stop for motorcyclists too. And the only grocery store with a full bar that I have ever encountered. Congrats on the cool gig. Sounds like a good time.

MCF, nixdad and kesslari like this.
  11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    I want - no, need - that Shakespeare one! :woot:

kesslari and mikewalker like this.
  12. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I agree! What a cool gig it must have been. The place looks very different.

And no "Brown Eyed Girl?" LOL. I am glad the band felt it didn't have to play it.

Did your WD-800 fit well?

What percussion did he use?
    A cajon?

funkytoe, Charlzm and kesslari like this.
  13. And not far from Mavericks. My brother lived in Montara for a bit back when Mav's was undiscovered. There was an old school fried fish joint on one of the wharves (Pillar Point Harbor) that we liked. You could see water through the floor boards and even as so. cal. surfer dudes we had no idea of the classic waves that broke on the other side of the harbor.

funkytoe, MCF, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  14. Did you say a horn?!
    You are a man of many talents to be sure.
    I love a horn section in the band.
    I always want to request Herb Alpert.
    :)

Spidey2112, MCF, nixdad and 1 other person like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fortunately, the last place people want to hear "Brown Eyed Girl" is a Van Morrison show, so I imagine the same goes for tributes :D

kesslari and funkytoe like this.
  16. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    That area has a connection to Rock history. Ken Kesey's farm, the home of the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Tests, is just a few miles down the road from that General Store. And, one of the regular attendees at those events, Owsley Stanley, was a founding member of Alembic Guitars/Basses. Is it any wonder that such an eclectic venue could survive/thrive in that area? Cool gig. Thanks for sharing Kesslari.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 10:55 PM
    kesslari likes this.
  17. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Man, that is all kinds of cool. I've never played there but know it well. Played Apple Jacks a few times though.... Nice pictures and such.

kesslari and funkytoe like this.