Not really Humor, not a Gig Story, but doesn't belong anywhere else: do you wear a watch on stage?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lildrgn, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Yes

127 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. No

129 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. Don't care

15 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I am a bass player first and foremost, but I am also a WIS, which I think stands for Watch Idiot Savant. I have 16 or so watches, all affordable and all worn at one time or another.

I usually have no problem wearing a watch on stage; it's just part of what I wear daily and I certainly don't wear one because I'm playing out. I just happen to have a watch on and I happen to be playing a show at the same time.

That said, even if I chose not to wear a watch right now, I'd have a terrible tan line that I couldn't display.

Simply curious: do you folks wear a watch on stage? 20180809_1260.JPG

dasherf17, Razman, BBQisgood and 9 others like this.
  2. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    Yes.
    upload_2021-7-30_15-20-4.jpeg

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No, but I always carry a pen in my shirt pocket.

Riis

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Of course! Jaco didn't need to show up early...
    upload_2021-7-30_17-40-4.jpeg

5. donk

donk

Nov 5, 2006
    You can record your show with an Apple Watch and an app

6. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Always.......but you probably knew that since we've run into each other on the watch forums.:thumbsup:

Been a collector for over 20 years and it's always good to know how much stage time you have left.
    Marilyn.jpeg

7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I wear a watch everywhere except bed.
    I'd certainly wear one on stage, if only to know how much longer I need to put up with the idiots I'm playing with.:)

8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Haven’t worn a watch for decades, especially with a phone in my pocket, but it annoys me to have a wrist band, rings, etc.

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Yes... yes, I did. I can't imagine why I wouldn't...:cool:

Ross W. Lovell likes this.
  10. No, but I don't wear a watch off stage either.

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When i wore a watch I rarely took it off.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    This.

13. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    No, I am not much of a watch wearer, maybe to dress up, more show than time-keeping.

14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I do, but make it a point to NEVER look at it on stage. Doing so sends a very clear and unmistakable message to the audience and it's not one you want to send.

Which is why I carry a large digital alarm clock to our gigs, set behind the monitor at stage center so the whole band can see it and the audience can't. Break at :45, back on at :00 unless contracted otherwise.

15. Zoffy

Zoffy Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    Seikos - got a few of them...

me - Copy.jpg

16. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I often, but not always, wear a watch on stage. I have a very discrete, low profile, black watch with a low, glowing dial. I turn it around (not face on top of my wrist) so I can see it but it pretty much just looks like a low key wrist band to the audience. I use it when there is a specific amount of stage time that has been worked out.

Johnny Fingers likes this.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I wear my watch (Fitbit Versa) 24/7 unless it's charging.

jjk2007 and 4SG like this.
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I wear a watch on private-party gigs where my BL cautions that the client will probably ask us to play another hour. [This is of interest because my S.O. likes to have an approximate arrival home time.] Otherwise, I try to not to watch the clock. I once saw a photo of a former BL checking the time on his phone in the middle of a song. It was not a good look. Most places we play, after six years, I know what time it is, and that the set is going to end when our BL says it does. For example: She starts saying "good night" with about 10 minutes left in the last set. And after the third encore, the impression is that we've played overtime, when in fact we've played almost to the minute.

Mr_Moo, longfinger, TC424 and 2 others like this.
  19. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yep

20. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    I take it off and lay it with my phone and don’t look at either except between sets or after the show. I have a bad habit of checking my watch and I have to take it off or I’ll keep looking at it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021