Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not related to stringed instruments.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Feb 1, 2006.

1. I've become fond of "Pig destroyer" off relapse records.....I like that wierd telephone sounding effect on the vocals....how do u get that?? could I buy something like a megaphone and reproduce the same tone?

2. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    yes, or run them through some distortion or OD, and roll off or cut all the low end.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There are vocal processors too. Check some out.

I don't know where to tell you to start though.

4. doesn't that ibanez lo-fi pedal do something similar?

5. A megaphone will work!

Most communications devices will do it for you, just a matter of getting signal in and out of them. So, an old phone modified, perhaps a CB radio, a household intercom etc etc.

Or, if you're keen, a band pass filter with cutoffs at 300hz and 3khz will get close.

6. lol, well I think a megaphone will work well, considering my singer's running through one of my old peavey's with a 15, and although he's loud enough, it just seems like it could go to something else.......recording it will be odd........my band is sort of an oddjob for now. we've played punk/metal/experimental for 3 years with me on main strings (lead distorted bass haha), a drummer, and a seperate vocalist....the drummer and I can alternate between punk and metal fairly well (the drummer is far more punk influenced but incorporates blast beats for thrills and stuff; I on the other hand can switch between styles on a whim), my vocalist is punked out.....we're thinking of getting another bassist (more harmony options and it sounds good and it's rarer) and another vocalist more suited to metal....so between distorted vocals through a megaphone, screams, and a bunch of killer fast riffs, i think this is probably the way to go for a new sound.

7. klharper

klharper

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yea, the cheap easy way to get the lo-fi effect is just cut high and lows, leave mids. If its supposed to sound "cheap" lo-fi anyways, why spend money/unneeded time to get it to sound like a "GOOD" cheap sound? :eyebrow: point to ponder :p

8. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings

yes it does. it has settings for drums, vocals and guitar. With guitar, just imagine the sound at the beginning of "I believe in a thing called love" by The Darkness, and that's it!

Don't know how it sounds with vox, but if it has a setting on it, should be worth a go! It's one of the tonelock things too so even better!

9. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I love that sort of sound, even though I haven't heard the song that you mentioned, I have heard very similar things. Tool uses the "old radio/telephone" sound on the vocals in a lot of their songs, gives a very eerie sound that I dig. I'd suggest(EQU wise) lots of treble little mids and no bass. I've done this to get that "old radio sound" out of my amp, for playing Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here', it even makes hiss more noticeable-so It sounds even more convincing!!.