1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not running through PA.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsa0100, Aug 2, 2012.

1. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    Using a mid sized PA, are there any practical way to use a high powered bass amp to cover the audience? If the bass amp sounds great, it would be attractive to use it as a main bass source.

2. Really depends on the size and nature of the venue. We generally do not run the bass guitar through the PA. (The upright, we do.) I use a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 with a GB Neox 212 or Schroeder 212, both 4 ohms. It's plenty for even large bars or other relatively large rooms.

3. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    And how to you get in level with the others? Do you manage the mixer yourself?

4. I run a 1500 watt pre/power amp or a 400 watt tube head through a fEARful 1515/66/1. Never go through the pa.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Sounds like a fools errand to me. If you're going that route, I'd want 1000 watts with an 18 topped with a 410. Pa support is a must IMO.

6. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    I'm running 400 watts through a 2x410 setup and only go through the PA in larger rooms or outside. For small rooms I've found no reason to do otherwise. I have a wireless so I just walk out to check the balance in the room.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    If you're just covering a small crowd (say, up to ~100-150 people), the classic bar-band approach is to match the instrumental amp volumes to the level of the acoustic drums, and then use the vocals-only PA to bring vocals up to match. (In some situations, the gain-before-feedback of the vocal monitors will determine the stage limits, rather than the drummer's preferred take-no-prisoners SPL levels for the kit.) A really tight band can sound great using only backline amps and vocals-only PA, but most bands prefer to put at least a tiny taste of kick and bass in the PA

Small venue, large venue, or outdoor stage—what matters isn't the size of the venue so much as the number of people in the room and how much area in front of the stage you want to fill with danceable volume.

Similarly, you can keep up with a modest mid-sized PA by running bass through a dimed 2000 watt stage rig, but at some point all you'll hear on stage is bass.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm confused. Are you asking if it's practical to run a bass rig? Or are you asking if it's a good idea to plug a bass amp into a PA so you can power the bass into the PA cabinets?

If the first, I rarely get PA support. My rig carries the venue all the time.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It works just fine in rooms your rig can handle. Get out front, listen, turn some knobs, listen again, etc.

In general, but not always, a tone that sounds a littke too midrangey/bass shy, sits well out in the room. A tone that sounds big and bassy to you up close, turns to mud out in the room.

10. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I am thinking of avoiding PA if possible, to let the audience her the bass rig itself. in a situation where the drumms (more then the kick) and perhaps even the guitar are beeing micked up.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've done an 800 seat theater stage volume using a B-15 (25w, 115). Sounded great to me. We weren't especially quiet, either. Can't do every gig that way, though.

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What do you have for a bass rig?

13. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I have a Mesa 100watt tube head and a Peavey T-max 500w. As speakers i have a 12" speaker. I also have several 15" speakers without cabinet.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You ain't gonna do it with one speaker. You need to be in the PA at all but the smallest of gigs unless you like blowing up your stuff.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    At your level, I'm guessing that was a real theatre, ie: acoustically designed. That's why you can hear unmiced acoustic instruments and voices in the back.;)

Try doing that at a country dancehall or metal club.:D

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Tmax is a solid amp. You could do it with that amp and at least 2 of your 15's, but hell, why not 3?

17. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    He needs to get a proper cab. No two which ways about it.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You've apparently never been to a Century Village theater!

I've done as large as a crowd of 300 in a dancehall with stage volume. Fairly small room, but it did hold 300 drunken dancers. Metal club, I'll give you that one ;)

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I admit, I've never been to Century Village Theatre.

We did used to do supperclubs that could hold 100-150 with a 115 combo. Was hard to get it good and full up front without booming in the back but it sure filled the room. Few drinks later...didn't matter.:)

Metal clubs...all bets are off.

20. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    The main question is if i should try to grow with the PA and get a large powerfull rig or get a smaller speaker to just cover the stage. If i do the last, i have to make sure that we get a set of quality subs.

I would prefer not running through PA, but there are so many that says it's unpractical using a larger PA systems.