Not satisfied with Ampeg B4R tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pvriesinga, Nov 26, 2004.

1. pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    I have an ampeg B4r running into an SWR 410T and just recently decided I dont really like my tone. When i bought the amp, it was a big step up from my Kustom combo amp, and sounded much better. But am just not satisfied anymore. Currently i run my washburn bass into a sansamp bass driver and straight to my amp. I just cant seem to get the punchy crisp sound out of it that i want. Does anyone have any suggested settings i could use for my amp?

I do know that i am overpowering my cab, but i dont really play it past half volume in my room.

Phil Vriesinga
  2. The B series Ampeg's arent all that bad, but for me i havent been pleased when i plug into the Workingman series of SWR.. maybe you'd wanna try a different cab before ditching the head?
  3. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    I was using an Aphex Bass Exciter in the same spot as your Sansamp and had a similar experience. I removed the Exciter from the chain and had the great tone I was looking for right back again.
  4. pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    I will give taking the sansamp out a try, and if that doesn't help, i will go out and try some new cabs. Thanks for the help,
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    punchy and crisp is something that amp should do well. push in the texture button crank the highs a little and if you need more high end bump the highs on the the graphic eq.
  6. Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    get a behringer... awesome tone.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Get an Ashdown... awesomer tone. And ethics.
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Perhaps it's time to get back to pun intended.

How old are your strings? If they've lost their some new ones. The latest issue of Bass Player has a huge article on strings...maybe a different brand is in store.

Make sure your bass is properly set up. Slight action and pickup adjustments can make a world of difference in tone.

Make sure you're using a good quality cable between your bass and the amp. A cheap cable can kill your high end.

Does your bass have on-board electronics? If so, check the old or dying battery can kill your tone too.

Read through the B4-R's manual. If you don't have a copy, go to www. and print one. I believe they give some suggestions. If not, look on and find a manual for an SWR head...they often give suggested tone settings for different styles.

Go easy on the EQ...start with everything flat and adjust from there.

You have a great amp and cabinet and should be able to get just about any sound that you want out of them.

Ask CB56 lots of questions...he has a B4R and is a great reference!