Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not so common last names in popular music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Dec 8, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

After the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's untimely death, I've just realized how lucky he was of having that last name. What I mean is: If you Google "Lennon", what do you think is it going to appear first? It seems as if the only Lennon family in the world was his. Another examples: McCartney, Frehley, DiAnno, Wooten and Patitucci. "Sheehan" gives Billy's page as the first result, but that's a common last name, isn't it? As counterexamples, "Harris" won't return Iron Maiden's bassist, neither "Simmons" for Gene. The examples above are the ones I can think of right now. Any others? (the big old masters like Bach, Beethoven or Chopin don't apply. I'm talking about "current" but "not so common" american or european last names) Thank you for your input!

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You do realize that "Gene Simmons" is a fictitious, made-up name, right? He came from a traditional Jewish family . . . his name at birth was Chaim Witz.

Paul Stanley was born Stanley Eisen.

I Ace Frehley was born Paul Frehley, so you can consider that last name. ;)

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

As an old Kiss fan (who never joined the Kiss Army :( ), I knew about their real names. I'd add that Peter Criss' real last name is "Crisscoula" and Eric Carr was the name chosen by the late drummer Paul Caravello. :)

4. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    entwistle

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Humperdinck

6. Uhh, Pastorius maybe?

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Kilmister.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hetfield.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Iommi

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Zawinul!

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Marsalis?

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wooten

13. Johnson?

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Shmucklanger

Aright, I made it up! That's because someone beat me to Humperdink!

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think there is a lot to be said about 'uncommon' names in music. First and last. A unique name helps with marketing and image and that stuff. So many actors and musicians adopt stage names, maybe partially to protect their identity, but also to give their product a little more zing. There is definitely a correlation between fame and unique names. Not that they beget one another, but there is a link.

um... bo diddley

16. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    federline

:bag:

-jimbo

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Zivinovich ( aka Lifeson)

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Which apparently translates to "he who doesn't realize when he has it good", or "idiot".

19. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    the only good music paper here in atlanta, "stomp and stammer" just calls him "a**face"

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Of, course, in Mr. Diddley's case, his name was made up. I can't remember what, but a "bo diddley" is actually something else.

His real name is Ellas McDaniel.

Bob Dylan = Robert Zimmerman

I think the name change fad didn't really get buried for good until the world heard the name Art Garfunkel, Previously known as Jerry Landis, Partner to Paul Simon's Tom Graph.