Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Not-so" Unique Preamp/Power-amp Idea???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 21, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

so with baited breath, i await my Acoustic Image Focus 1.

and i was thinking, would it be possible to use my Aguilar DB680, plugged into the "return" of the Focus to be able to use it as a 4 lbs. power amp???

man, even my "granny-butt" surprises me... :meh: :smug:

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I don't see why not. The Return jack is for an effects loop, right? It should be fine... I think. :)

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Joker,

I'm thinking about doing this with my 2 4 ohm 2x8s. Instead of running a separate power amp, I'm thinking about just slaving my Clarus to my SWR 220 from the 220's preamp out, and running it into the effects loop on the Clarus.
    If you see any problem with this, give a holler! I'm going to get a regular power amp for this task, but the Clarus should fit the bill in the mean time.

Will

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I actually asked the guys at AI if they were planning to make a small portable power amp in the near future and they were not yet developing it. We should encourage them to do so ... and soon!

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I like the preamp in the AI in a pinch, but I've had best results with my electric bass through the effects loop, I think. It just opens the sound up. The EQ is better voiced for upright.

I guess what would make sense might be for them to develop a Focus with no pre -- in essense, what you and Joker are talking about -- that we could just plug our outboard pre's into. I'm sure they could shave some of the price, weight and size off the Focus with that setup and sell quite a few of them. You couldn't pitch a bitch about a 4lb 600 watt power amp that would fit into your gig bag and went for a reasonable amount.

Will