1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not something you see every day! Pre- Ampeg!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Jun 2, 2014.

1. SirMjac28 and maves75 like this.
  2. maves75

maves75

Dec 13, 2013
    Freeport Illinois
    Thanks for sharing. That's really cool! My pockets aren't deep enough for that. Would like to find one at a garage sale stupid cheap tho.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That is very cool I wonder what it sounds like?

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I have a pretty good idea of what it sounds like...but, hey it's historic!

coreyfyfe likes this.
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    It's got three separate volume controls for three different inputs and you don't see that everyday. :)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gregg Hopkins, who wrote the Ampeg book, either has one or played one and said that it sounds surprisingly good and rather hi-fi for its time, albeit with some limitations due to the low wattage and the cab design.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Way too pricey for me, but man, what a cool piece of history that would be to have.

I do just happen to have a 1949 National lapsteel guitar that's all original except the strings. Best sounding guitar pickup I've ever heard and would be right at home playing with that amp.

Tbone76 likes this.
  8. Would be great to get the back story on how it wound up in Toronto, who used it throughout its life, how the current owner got hold of it...

9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Looks like someone is hoping a museum comes calling at that price....

But I get the piece of history and how totally cool it is. Thanks for posting.

10. Weird and wonderful.

11. Hi.

Thanks for posting.

Quite a bit of NOS (?) and other tubes there as well... ;).

Relatively expensive, of course, and AFAIK completely without any recording history what so ever, but compared with other amps of the same vintage and status, IMO a reasonable price.

Regards
    Sam

12. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I wonder what he'd get if it were all original. That grille is great!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Interesting story about these amps...Les Paul had one in the back seat of his car when he had that major accident that shattered his right arm and forced it to be set into playing position permanently. Somehow it flew up and tore a hole in the roof, enabling rescuers to get to him quickly enough to save his life. So if not for the Michaels-Hull Bassamp, Les would have died decades ago.

MoeTown1986 and ReidK like this.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think we should all chip in and buy this for Jimmy.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'll throw in $5, just to prove I'm no schnorrer ;)

16. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I'll throw in $0.05, because Jimmy is 100 times the bassist I am. :)

17. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Kickstarter?

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Another nickel here.

We're up to $5.10 now.

19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Interesting. So the electric bass amp came out before the Fender electric bass guitar. And it is specifically called a "bassamp" not an accordion or lap steel or organ amp. Who would this have been marketed to?

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Upright bass players. Everett Hull, the man who started Ampeg, was a bass player who invented the first pickup for upright called the Amplified Peg. It occurred to him that he should also have an amp that works better for bass than the previous amps of the day, so he asked Stanley Michaels to design an amp that he would market. Their partnership didn't last long, as Stanley broke away and started Sano Amps, but it was, indeed, the very first amp marketed to upright bass players, and from what the history records tell us, the first one to be actually worth a crap for bass. Of course, the B-15 blew everyone away in the early 60's, but for 1948, it was state of the art.

T-Bird and vmabus like this.