1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not something you see every day!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mndean, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    Really! Have a look at this 1973 Jazz Bass. I won't even mention how it's strung.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/3230439012.html

Does anyone who is looking to buy an vintage original have so little knowledge of them that this could get past their inspection? :scowl:

2. it's a '77

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd be afraid to buy a vintage bass from somebody that doesn't even care enough to know how to install strings.

4. So it's not a 73?

5. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    this

6. I don't know how a drunk monkey would even get a string around the heads like that. That started out horribly, and tapered off into catastrophic. Not a bad looking jazzer though.

7. pbass888

pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    that's the double secret probation tuning of the string on the bottom there... its a booby trap kinda like a micro chip so that if someone steals the "73" and jumps on stage they will regret it.... i tune all my basses that way after a pint of jack and 12 milkey ways ... just in case

btw... im guessing he thought it was a 73 based on the first numbers of the serial:)

8. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Look at the serial #.
    S7 + 5 digits = 1977

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    And white blocks/binding, black pickguard, strat knobs, thumb rest position, body color, decal printing size, etc. Not a chance it's a 73. And even then, $3900 with replaced pickups? This person is high if they think they'll get it. Either that or some idiot is about to be parted with a fat stack of cash...

10. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    It was strung by a guitarist

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

+1. IMO, it's a $1200-1500 bass max.

I sold a great all original 1977 with covers and OHSC Jazz for approx $2,000.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I laughed at the picture because far too many people have no idea how to string a bass (or guitar for that matter).

Then I read the price... and I darn near fell of my chair laughing.

13. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Nope. It's a 77-78, it's strung incorrectly and unless the seller kept the original pickups he just shot a goodly portion of it's resale value down. It's pretty obvious he doesn't know much about what he has or about a bass in general. I'm sure someone will point out the errors to him.

14. Oh I got the rest.
    I just didn't know how to tell it was a 73 or not (not a vintage collector clearly haha).

Love em though.