Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not strong enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Mar 23, 2004.

1. OK, i was all set to get a Ampeg BA115 combo so that way i could jam with some friends (a leed, drums and mabye backup guitar) anyway someone told me it wouldn't be strong enough.

so now i'm asking u experts if the 115 would be strong enough to jam with a 3 maybe 4 piece band? if not will a BA115HP work?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What kind of music? Classic rock, or mellow jazz? Does your other guitar player have a Marshall SuperLead, or a Hiwatt maybe? If so, a BA115 probably ain't gonna cut it, and an SVT might be more appropriate. :)

Seriously, it depends on the other players. When I play with a loud rock drummer, I generally use no less than 300 watts, and usually considerably more. (That would be solid state watts with plenty of clean headroom). A thousand watts is not unreasonable for a bass player who's doing outdoor classic rock gigs.

If jazz or the mellower blues is more along the lines of what you're playing, and your drummer and the other players have some reasonable control over their volume levels, then a BA115 might be fine.

Have you tried it yet?

3. i play rock, alternitive rock, some classic rock, some metal, and on the occasion some jazz/ fusion

my bass is a Ibanez SR400

4. I've got the same bass, and play hard/classic rock with a pretty loud drummer and a guitarist going through a half-stack 100w Marshal. Believe it or not, I was going through a 120w guitar head into my bass cabinet, and it was plenty loud enough for practice. I don't know if the fact that it was an older Peavey tube head had anything to do with its power, but it served its prupose well until I got the Behringer BX3000T. Surprisingly well.