Not sure how to approach this

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kjpollo, Jan 30, 2009.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I play in a hard-rock/metal band w/2 guitarists. We're prepping for SMALL clubs. Both guitarists have relatively small half-stacks.
    I have an OLD 150W Crate combo with a single 15". It has a 2 ohm minimum and the 15 is a 4 ohm speaker. I know I can add a 2x10 4 ohm cabinet for around $150-200.

What I'm wondering is:
    Could I buy a better head and a 2x10 and still use the 15 in the combo by bypassing the connection to the combo's amp section?

OR would I be better off selling/trading the Crate and buying a good, more powerful used head and a 4x10 cabinet?

We're a few months away from playing out so I dont need to do this immediately but I want to get some ideas while I start accumulating some cash to get this done.

Thanks

2. Probably wouldn't get much selling the Crate - so best to keep it around. You can daisy chain it to another amp, so you still get the 150 watts it delivers to your 15".

If you try to add a cab, I fear you won't get much more out of the amp - especially using a 2x10. Going to 2 ohms, most low end amps won't be happy, even if it's "safe".

A guitarist can get away with a 2x12 combo and play a huge place. Even outdoor gigs. Bass players need a whole lot more wattage and speaker surface area to get the job done.

I'd suggest getting a 4x10 and head used... something over 200 watts if you could. That would put out a bunch of volume. You could always add your Crate to that to cut through in a bigger venue.

Hard rock music + medium sized room = a lot of bass equipment to get the job done. (either a lot of cheap stuff, or smaller amount of expensive stuff that can put out the wattage and sound you require)

3. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Questions to consider:
    - Will you have PA support? If so, I'd just upgrade to a small 2x10 combo that's loud enough for stage volume only. If not, then you may need something that move more air. You could still use a combo with an extension cab.
    - How big are the stages going to be? Many of the smaller clubs also have smaller stages. In these instances a 2x10 tilt-back combo rules.

If I sound like I'm pushing a 2x10 combo I guess maybe I am. I've been totally happy with my GK 2x10 tilt-back combo amp. I play in a classic rock cover band and it's plenty loud on stage for the clubs we play (I have PA support, so I don't need to move a ton of air) and it has great tone when I run my VT Bass pedal and J Bass into it.

Either way, I'd find a store with some selection and find something with some headroom that your ears like.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Metal? I think you'd be better off just using the Crate for light duty and get a head/410. Even better would be two 210's in a vertical stack IMHO. For any other kind of music you could probably get by with the Crate for a good while, but metal takes wattage and speaker surface area. I'd go for 300w minimum.

5. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    yup

6. Hi.

Another vote for 200-500W head and a 4*10 cab.

If You can live with a franken-rig and are pleased with the tonal characteristics of the Crate, one option would be to add an old (=HEAVY), but cheap PA amp and that 4*10 cab to Your existing combo. That is obviously valid only if the Crate in question has a pre-out socket or You can tap into the FX-loop without losing the link to the Crates power section.

Regards
    Sam

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll just +1 the big head/410 or bigger idea. And, keep the Crate for practice, or a back up.

8. GK 2001 head = 1000 WATTS, and 8X10 cab, now that's metal baby...

9. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Well, I can definitely see what you're all saying.

As far as the rooms we hope to play, in most instances there is no PA. I've been to a few places seeing other bands play so I know this 1st hand.

I guess I will keep the Crate for rehearsal-it seems to do a decent job in the practice room.

Now regarding the head/cab...I've seen several votes for a 4x10...how about a 2x10 and a 15?
    what would be the plusses and minuses of 1 cab vs 2 (besides the obvious weight factor for setting up/breaking down)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021