Not sure how to wire these pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tom0Blam0, Sep 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I bought a set of inexpensive artec pickups from the bay and I'm putting them into a vintage greco jazz bass I bought sans pickups. I'm no pro with wiring and there are a lot of extra wires here...

From what I originally thought, I would use the red for hot, green for ground and wire the black and white together and be good to go to just wire it up like a standard jazz bass. However, the red and white appear to be wired together AND there is a 5th bare wire here that I have no freaking clue what to do with. Anyone able to help me out here?

The bridge pickup has the same wire setup. How would I wire these pickups to a standard VVT Jazz harness?

Attached Files:

2. Usually, you have to figure out which wire is which, but given that you already have the coils wired in series, there is nothing to worry about. The green and black wires are your hot and coil ground wires. It's not clear which is which, but it won't matter unless you have problems with hum when you touch the pole pieces. The bare lead is the shield ground.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks for the fast reply - and forgive my ignorance which I am about to display now: If I were to wire this up like a standard jazz bass, what color(s) would connect to the hot (white in the diagram) and what color(s) go to the ground (black)? And what do I do with the shield ground? I'm pretty unfamiliar with the pretty basic wiring language and I've pretty much figured out how to wire my basses on my own, but I'm afraid this is beyond my skill level to figure out.
    image-jpg.jpg

4. Treat black and bare like the black wire in the diagram, and green like the white wire in the diagram.

5. Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks!

Any suggestions for resources so I can teach myself a bit more about wiring?