Not sure how to wire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fchazz, Feb 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fchazz

fchazz

Sep 6, 2014
    Orlando, Florida
    I have a Squire Affinity jazz five string bass. I recently picked up cheap a DiMarzio ultra five neck pickup and want to replace the stock Neck pickup on my bass. I know the original pickups are single coil and this new one is a split coil pickup. Is there a way I can wire this split coil Neck pickup into my bass so that it will play nicely with the original single coil Bridge pickup? The original pickup has one black wire and one white wire. The DiMarzio split coil pickup has one green, one red and one grey wire. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The first thing to do is check that it will fit in the pickup cavity.
    It's been mentioned more than a couple of time on here that DiMarzio 5-string pickups won't fit in a Fender/Squier.

You're going to have a problem with the bridge pickup being noisy after the change, because there's an odd amount of coils (3).

Normally the Jazz pickups are set up with one reverse wound, reverse polarity from the other so that they cancel hum when both pickups are selected.
    This feature would be removed with a humbucker in the neck. Sure the neck pickup will cancel hum when soloed, but when using both pickups the bridge pickup will likely exhibit single-coil noise.

Unless you were to figure which coil of the DiMarzio humbucker is reverse wound, reverse polarity to your current bridge pickup.
    One option is to wire in a push/pull pot that switches the DiMarzio to single coil mode, thus allowing it to hum-cancel when used in conjunction with the bridge pickup.

While you have it open go ahead & replace all the pots with 500K Ohm values.
    Unless you don't like the extra brightness & output, in that case keep the 250K Ohm pots.

4. fchazz

fchazz

Sep 6, 2014
    Orlando, Florida
    How will I know if it is out of phase?

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It will sound thin and honky. It should be pretty obvious.

6. fchazz

fchazz

Sep 6, 2014
    Orlando, Florida
    Already have the fit taken care of. The noisy bridge pickup is the problem. Maybe i will have to replace the bridge pickup with a bridge DiMarzio pickup as well to get the full benefit without the noise. I will look for another used deal for the bridge.

7. Killed_by_Death

Here's a description of how to check polarity:

DIY Tips - How to find the polarity of a guitar pickup coil.

upload_2018-2-25_15-22-39.png

In your case black & grey are combined, so:

Check the polarity of grey to red (grey on common lead of multimeter)
    and green to grey (green on common)

compare that to your existing pickup & choose accordingly

8. fchazz

fchazz

Sep 6, 2014
    Orlando, Florida
    Like I said this DiMarzio pickup only has three wires as is shown in the PDFs that slater posted, by the way thanks slater, that is how I have it wired. I guess the answer is another DiMarzio for the bridge.

Slater likes this.
  9. Killed_by_Death

I just told you the answer :wideyed:
    in a 3-wire setup the black & grey have been combined
    you can still do parallel/series wiring or coil-splitting

Getting pretty tired of trying to help out & getting snubbed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018