Not sure if I'm Woody Allen, or Larry David

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I can actually post a long list of incidents that have happened to me that others might find comical - but I'm in the midst of one now, and want to rant, in order to vent. I'm sure I'll find this amusing one day. I don't right now.

I dropped my phone and smashed the screen on Fri. Immediately took it to a local phone place to get it fixed as I REALLY need my phone, and it was smashed to crumbs. Place tells me cash only, I roll my eyes, but I NEED the phone. I do it. Find out yesterday the camera doesn't work. I go back... bla, bla, bla...

They need my pin in order to fix it and I have to leave it for 2 hrs. I reluctantly do that because I'm desperate, and because all my 20 yr. old friends assured me that's standard practice if they're going to fix things. I'm of course very nervous about this, and make sure I'm back in an hour - though I know they can wipe me clean in 10 minutes if they wanted to.

I start getting towards the store and see lots of lights flashing. 3 police vans and an ambulance on the corner of the store. I go to walk in and I'm confronted by the cops. There are about 10 of them in there. "Sorry, you can't come in!" "But.... but, but.... my phone...." "I said, you can't come in." Come back later.

To be continued...

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Larry.

Dam. That sucks.

3. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Subbed. This sounds like it's gonne be an interesting tale.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh bummer bro. That can for sure cause some anxiety, most of which for me would be from someone having my phone unattended with my PIN.
    While you're waiting, find a new joint to fix your phone if this happens again. That place sounds shady.
    Then again, 20 year olds do know everything. Maybe I am wrong. :D

-Mike

5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE!

Mar 31, 2010
    Speed everything up, and you could be Benny Hill!:laugh:

6. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    You're definitely Larry.

If you could be a little more Woody, you'd have been embroiled in the action the other side of the police tape, and be having an unexpected adventure - rather than having life serve up yet another **** sandwich.

7. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    A day in the life of Woody David.

8. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Larry I hope, Woody is a perv. Good luck with your phone. Check your accounts regularly for small $1 charges. They like to do that first, then hit it hard a few weeks later.

Obese Chess, Mvilmany, ICM and 2 others like this.
  9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Life hint: any tech orientated company that has a cash only policy is a scam.......

I hope you have "find my iPhone" enabled. Wipe your phone. Now. Stop listening to 20 year olds... ;)

10. Please tell me you don't have your email on your phone without an extra password to access.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    It's a chapter for your next book! :thumbsup:

MrLenny1 and FilterFunk like this.
  12. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    download.jpeg

13. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    It sucked for you. Sounds like it may have sucked much more for someone?

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    The short story is that the store got robbed. The woman working the counter got a little beat up but she’s ok. My phone is gone. My phone wasn’t backed up, even though I just paid iCloud to upgrade my storage.

Next few days is going to be lots of fun for me. Spent a couple of hours with police, and filled out a victim report. I’ll add details when I get a chance.

15. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Lucky you didn't show up during the robbery. The clerk must be terrified.

16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Won't a new iPhone download all your contacts & stuff when it syncs?
    I realize you don't have a recent backup, but don't you have all your contacts on an old iCloud sync?

MattZilla likes this.
  17. Yep, you're Larry.

Did you look around to see any cameras rolling? A little editing and your day could make a pretty good pilot episode!

Good luck.

18. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    LARRY-565907.jpg

JRA likes this.
  19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Wipe the phone. Do it now. The “robbery” seems like a convenient story.....

fretter likes this.
  20. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Was “iCloud Backup” disabled in Settings?

Settings, (You), iCloud, iCloud Backup “On”!!