1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not sure if my car is safe...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Would appreciate advice from any car types, pro or amateur :)

I've got a knocking sound coming from my front drivers side wheel on my car when I'm driving. Mainly 40mph and under, since the road and wind noise drowns it out above that speed. It knocks and rumbles all the time but it's worse going over bumps.

Took it to my mechanic last week, he had it for a couple of days, checked everything over, torqued some stuff up, tightened the spare wheel cage and sorted out an exhaust bracket that was a bit loose.

He mentioned something about bushes being split (I don't know what they are). But said he's not really worried about that. He also could tell that it's recently had the suspension done and a new anti roll bar on the drivers side. He said it's not bearing noise.

So, he said that really, there's nothing he or his manager could see that needed doing and that I shouldn't spend money unnecessarily.

But the noise is worse than ever.

The thing that strikes me as odd is - when I am parked, and I grab the top of that wheel and shake it back and forth, it moves half an inch or so, and I can hear metal hitting metal. Mechanic seems to think that's normal, but if I do the same on the front passenger wheel, it doesn't budge a millimetre, and there's not a sound.

My partner tells me if the mechanic thinks it's ok, don't worry about it. But, might sound stupid, but I don't feel safe driving it.

Would be very very grateful for any advice, and apologies for the essay but I wanted to include all the details.

Thanks

2. 45acp

45acp

Feb 5, 2013
    Texarkana TX
    Year, make, and model of car?

Also, when you shake the wheel it shouldn't move at all. That's probably going to be upper/lower balljoints or wheel bearing.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I can only offer that you might want to have it looked at by a different mechanic.

A friends car started acting funny. Riding with her, everyone in the car could tell her alignment was off. We all said she needed to take it in. A few days later her tire blew out on the freeway and spun her and a friend around facing traffic, nearly missing a big rig.

If you dont feel safe driving it, then dont.

4. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Get a second opinion. Front suspension defects can be very dangerous. Try a shop that specializes in suspension work. A dealership that sells your brand of car may be the most knowledgeable on your particular car, but, may also be the most expensive place to have the work done. Take a knowledgeable friend with you if you can, and have the mechanic show you anything they find to be worn out.

5. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    It's a 2000 Peugeot 206.

Yeah I didn't think it should move either. What's a balljoint? Is that same as bushes?

6. 45acp

45acp

Feb 5, 2013
    Texarkana TX
    I think so.

It's probably going to be either that or a wheel bearing. Right now it's not very safe to drive. I also vote having someone else look at it.

For the record, any time you can grab a tire and rock the wheel back and forth and feel movement- that is not good.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Make sure you lugnuts are all tight and proper. Though, I cant believe the mechanic would overlook that.

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    A worn ball joint can break and cause loss of control of the car. I would not drive a car with a very worn ball joint over 35, or forty miles per hour.

9. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Wheels shouldn't move like that .

Have it looked at soon

Good luck ,wear a seat belt.

10. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I donno about Peugeot specifically.
    If the suspension 'was just done' my vote is that someone left loose the camber adjustment on the strut.

The last time I let 'a professional' do my alignment he used an impact wrench on the camber nuts and stripped them right out. I found and fixed that as soon as I got home.

The 'standard' cause for play like that is wheel bearings, which arer usually accompanied by rumblings and possibly (if really bad) scrapey sounds under braking.

Could also be ball joints, but a MacPherson strut front suspension probably only has a lower ball joint. Could be the upper strut bearing but these are rare failure items. Could happen, but highly unusual for a 2000. If there were strut inserts involved, it's very slightly possible the upper damper gland nut has loosened. Been known to happen - but I donno if Peugeots have struts like that...

Loose camber adjustment, wheel bearing, ball joint, upper strut bearing be my list, in that order...

11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Just turn the radio up................. seriously though, have this checked immeidetly.

12. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    It's 'bushing', not 'bushes' and a bushing isn't the same as a ball joint. If you have looked at the parts of the front steering, you'll see a metal rod with a flared end and where it connects to the next part, it has a nut on top. The flared end is where the ball joint is and there are usually four, but the manufacturer's design determines the actual number. If your roads are extremely rough, like they are here in Milwaukee, your suspension and steering parts will wear a lot faster than if the roads don't suck crap, like ours. Bushings are used on some parts, which have a rubber or urethane piece that allows flexing and vibration dampening. They get old and crack, crumble and make noises. In fact, ball joints and bushings make similar sounds, but the effect is different. If you hear a clunk when you rotate the wheel at rest, I would take it back to the shop that replaced the other parts for a second opinion.

Ball joint-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_joint

Control arm bushing-
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...a=pla&ci_kw=&gclid=CMDu2Iq5iLoCFUJqMgod4HAATQ

13. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    That's a tie rod end - similar construction to a ball joint and also a wear component. But I don't believe a bad tie rod end could account for movement in the 'vertical' (12-and-6 o'clock) plane. It would be implicated for 3-and-9 looseness, as would wheel bearings (still, again...)

OP mentions rumbling which further points to wheel bearings but any professional should have been able to feel that - especially with the suspension unloaded, as on a lift.

If it were my car, I'd replace all that stuff - ball joint, tie rod end, upper strut bearing, and wheel bearing - if I had the upright off, unless I _knew_ the provenance...

(BTDT.)

14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    you'd be suprised

15. Dodgy mechanics are surprisingly commonplace.

Get a new one before you lose your steering.

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I recently had similar symptoms, and it was a tire with a bulge.

17. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Sounds like wheel bearing to me. If you have a jack, lift up that side of the car and start shaking things around that connect to the wheel. If anything is loose, fix it. If nothing is loose, then it's likely the wheel bearing. Which is PIA to change yourself sometimes.

18. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If you can move the top of the tire back and forth like that, I would bet my last dollar that you have a bad upper ball joint. If you have cracked or split bushings then those need to be replaced as well. It sounds like your mechanic has no clue. Wheel bearings will make a growling sound, that will get louder or quieter depending on which way you turn the wheel.

For the record, before I wised up and got a better job I was an ASE certified mechanic.

19. +1000

20. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Ok. been to a different mechanic. He said that someone had replaced the strut bearing, but left something loose (I can't remember what).

So he's tightened that up and it's all good. I pick it up later.

I have a question though - would that cause the front wheel to move slightly when I shake it back and forth?