Not sure if this goes here, making your bass look distressed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I absolutley love the Jaco signature fender, the way it's sides are all de-painted. I was thinking about dragging my bass around some concrete to get that look, think I should do it? It's some MIM J, I love the bass with all my heart but I don't like it's black with white pickguard look at all. I've been thinking about getting a mint/black/mint pickguard or repainting it off white.

Is there an easier way to make your bass look groaty?
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East a used MIM that's already 'distressed'.
  3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    yeah but i don't have any money and i already have a bass =(
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    One of the reasons that older basses (ie Jaco's Pre CBS Jazzes) wear is that they used a nitro finish. This wears over time/abrasion. I have a Strat reissue with a nitro finish and although it was made in 1989 has quite a lot of finish on it.

Any attempt by you or I to 'relic' a finish is going to look pretty poor. Michael Spalt does relic guitars but I suspect it will be very expensive.

5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    The best way to get "THE LOOK" is to play the bass constantly for about 30 years, knock it over a few times here and there, have some irresponsible roadies handle your bass and before you know it your bass will have "THE LOOK".
    Oh yea, it helps if your drunk during gigs, thats the best to get your bass to obtain that "relic" look.
  6. Disclaimer:

But this method is not condoned by TalkBass.
  7. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    This is way off the subject, but I don't want to make another thread :/

On my MIM Jazz, the cable gets in the way alot. I look at alot of vintage Fenders, and they have that metal thing on the side, by the bridge that they lace the cable through. I was wondering, what are these called? I want to buy one and put it on my bass :( Where could I buy one online?

I usually just lace the cable through my strap, but that gets annoying.
  8. I have found on my P's to remedy that problem is by running the cord throught the strap backwards. Start by going through the strap from the front of the guitar and then when you are in the back run the chord in front of the cable and plug it in. This method actually takes the strain off the jack when you step on the cord and cord loops in the back instead of the front. Works for me-