1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not sure what bass Percy Jones is playing here...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    ...but danged if it doesn't look a lot like an Ibanez EDA.

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to embed it.

2. Not quite, but look very similar to an EDA. the biggest difference I'm seeing is that the EDA has a cutout on the treble side where the body is thinner under the strings.

3. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Nobody else?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Percy Jones talked about this bass in an interview a few years ago. I think Ibanez custom made it for him.

5. W/o looking, I'll say I believe it is a custom signature model- all wood, as opposed to the luthite of stock EDA's, piezo+mag PU IIRC...

Edit: Yeah, that is a cool tune- strike my *mag* comment; looks all-piezo to me.

6. Definitely custom. I've never seen an Ibanez with string spacing that wide in the wild

7. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, that makes sense. I could see that there was a name on the headstock, but I can't quite read it.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Yes, that Ibanez was custom made for Percy. He had been playing one of those '90s Luthite Ibanez basses but Percy took out the magnetic pickup and was using only the piezos in the bridge. One day Ibanez gave this similar but wood bodied bass to him, this time with only the piezo system in the bass. I played it a few years ago at a gig my former jazz band did along with Tunnels, in Baltimore. I have some photos of the gig and Percy playing the bass. :cool: