Not sure what I want...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's late, and I'm waiting on a bud to show up, so I'm just gonna post something that's been eating me for a while (I think this may qualify as a vent).

While the long term goal I have is a Modulus Q6, I need something to round out the stable that's slightly more functional than my Ibanez GSR200. Now, here's the vent: I'm not sure at ALL what I want. I've been playing the Ibanez non stop for the past month or so, while the MTD Kingston is seeing duty about twice a week, and at band practice.
    The Ibanez is strung BEAD, and tuned CFBbEb (EADG down two full steps, if my transposition is off). I'm not sure if I like the 4 string neck, or the P pickup sound, or the tuning. I know I want a B string, but I've been rocking the BEAD for about 6 months, so I know I'd just drop a B on a new 4 anyway. Or not? Maybe I want EADG or something?
    Do I just not like the 5? It plays well, I'm not worried about that...the sound? Maybe I'm not cut out for the MM style sounds? I know that I really like it, but it's just not seeing as much action as the Ibanez. P bass 4? A new, different 5er? 4 string in BEAD, or EADG? Just overhaul/upgrade the Ibanez?

So many things swamping my thought process...
  2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Wiseman say.. 'New bass always makes old bass problem go away.' :D
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is a Wise man...but clouded are my thoughts!
    Wish I had the money to just do it all (2 new 4s, a new 5, uprgrade the Ibanez) and then once I figure out what I want, sell back the stuff I'm NOT using.

this may or may not help the case for a BTB514 (or whatever the walnut bodied, 4 string BTB is)