1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not sure what I want...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's late, and I'm waiting on a bud to show up, so I'm just gonna post something that's been eating me for a while (I think this may qualify as a vent).

While the long term goal I have is a Modulus Q6, I need something to round out the stable that's slightly more functional than my Ibanez GSR200. Now, here's the vent: I'm not sure at ALL what I want. I've been playing the Ibanez non stop for the past month or so, while the MTD Kingston is seeing duty about twice a week, and at band practice.
    The Ibanez is strung BEAD, and tuned CFBbEb (EADG down two full steps, if my transposition is off). I'm not sure if I like the 4 string neck, or the P pickup sound, or the tuning. I know I want a B string, but I've been rocking the BEAD for about 6 months, so I know I'd just drop a B on a new 4 anyway. Or not? Maybe I want EADG or something?
    Do I just not like the 5? It plays well, I'm not worried about that...the sound? Maybe I'm not cut out for the MM style sounds? I know that I really like it, but it's just not seeing as much action as the Ibanez.

Weird...new P bass 4? A new, different 5er? 4 string in BEAD, or EADG? Just overhaul/upgrade the Ibanez?

So many things swamping my thought process...

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Wiseman say.. 'New bass always makes old bass problem go away.' :D

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is a Wise man...but clouded are my thoughts!
    Wish I had the money to just do it all (2 new 4s, a new 5, uprgrade the Ibanez) and then once I figure out what I want, sell back the stuff I'm NOT using.

this may or may not help the case for a BTB514 (or whatever the walnut bodied, 4 string BTB is)