Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not sure what is the 4x10 for me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Mar 8, 2003.

1. i have been planing on getting a svt 3 and a 4x10. for some time but every time i havnt been able to. but now i have the chance to save.i allso plan on useing my carvin combo its a 100 watts with a 15 mainly only when i play dub. iam not sure what 4x10 would be the one for me.

i play alot of diffent typs of music with the people i play with. with one band its hard core if u want , then with my othere band anything goes. i mite get a 8x10 i all ready have a 4x10 so i can wait.but would it even be worth it with the svt3.

2. I personally don't like 8X10''s at all. They are the most inconvienient things around. They weigh around 200 pounds and take up WAAAAAAAAY too much space. And sn SVT3 really can't push an 8X10'' anyways IMO, so it is a mute point.

If you use a 4X10'', I suggest getting a 15'' add on. This will increase bass and headroom.

BTW: You will be suprised how much better you cut through with midrange up relatively high up. Scooped bass tone is crap IMO. A 4X10'' + a 15'', with a flat or high-mid upped EQ will cut through almost anything. So don't be afraid of using it in a band setting; they really add low end.

But, If you play in front of VERY LARGE crowds, you may wanna consider the SVT-4.

Aguilar speakers ROCK, but they aren't the cheapest things around. I prefer the SWR speakers to the Ampeg ones, despite my love of warmth. (The PRO Series of Ampeg speakers sound like mud IMO, and the others simply aren't very high quality at all.) Eden speakers are a little muddy, but not nearly as bad as the Ampeg PRO series. Plus its tough to make Eden sound really bad. Plus there are more expensive companies, but I don't know how much I should even go into those.

I don't know much about Ashdown, so maybe someone can help fill in the blanks.

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  4. for the 15 add on ill just use my carvin combo. it really like a head and a cab not a combo. ill figure out a way to use the svt3 as a preamp for the 15 inch and use its own power amp so all the power from the svt3 goes to the 4x10.

o yeah about the scooped mids. on my carvin the a pre cut or some thing for the mids that i never use.and i can cut thourght ok with just the 15. not really the sound i want.

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I reccomend you check out genz benz. I recently bought their 610T XB2 cab and i love it. its a little big, but smaller than an 810, sounds a LOT bigger than a 410, and is louder than 90% of the cabinets out there. Their 410 also looks really nice to me, and Ive bene very impressed with the quality of the cabinet construction and the components used inside. best of all, theyre relatively inexpensive when compared to eden, SWR, and even ampeg.

6. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Tell me more about avatar. I need a clear, agressive bass sound.

7. An SVT3-PRO will push an 810 but it will be under powered. I would suggest just going with either one or two SVT 410HLFs, stacked on their sides.

8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Do a search of Avatar on this forum, there is a lot of info. There's a ton of people real happy with these cabs, and the price is great!