1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

not sure what the heck it is.... MB you guys can help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by slick519, Feb 9, 2002.

  1. slick519


    Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, it looks like a thumb rest, talks like a thumb rest, and tastes like a thumb rest, but its on th wrong side!!

    what in the world are these things? they look like a thumbrest, but are placed on the other side of the strings where your thumb isnt even near! it makes no sense!! please help!


    P.S. there is a picture below with the weird rest thingy on a pbass, and by the way, that is pat from =weezer=;)
  2. LWatford


    Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Since Leo Fender's original idea was to have a portable version of the DB, he thought that would be the tone most people would want, and that they would use their thumb to pluck notes (to give that deep upright "thud" (there were also mutes under the strings at the bridge, I think)). If you put your fingers on that rest, your thumb is right above the strings.
  3. slick519


    Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or

    it now is all clear!

    well, thank you,
    ~Slicks =w=

Share This Page