1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not sure where exactly this belongs...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, May 10, 2006.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    ....so mods feel free, if I got the wrong forum, to move this topic elsewhere.

I was wondering if anyone can help me achieve a fretless tone close to that of Bakithi Kumalo, particularily on "You can call me Al". I absolutely love it! I know that he's slapping a fretless, but anyone know what else he's doing effects/eq wise? (Yeah, this is inspired by that thread in the technique forum!)

2. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    BUMP

3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Not sure, but I know the first half of the solo was played and then played in reverse as the second half. To keep this effects related, maybe some kind of weird pedal could do that? :|

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Not familiar with the song or solo, but the Boss DD-20 has a reverse delay mode with up to 23 seconds of space before it starts repeating what you played originally in reverse...

5. That sounds interesting. I have been getting more and more interested in loopers and delay units lately...

The solo in the Paul Simon song is indeed a studio trick where the first half of that funky-slapped out riff is then reversed in the second half.

As for a 'fretless tone' on a fretted bass - I have found that turning down your tone (less treble), using a bridge pick-up, playing with your fingers close to the bridge with a tight stroke and even adding a bit of chorus helps to simulate the sound of a fretless.