1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
     
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not sure where to go.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dazzare, Jan 25, 2012.


  1. Dazzare

    Dazzare

    Dec 3, 2011
    Hey guys just as the title suggests, I really don't know where to go to take myself to the next level. If you are aware of Ant Wellingtons 4 levels of musicianship I'm a three. I have my modes down like the back of my hands. I've studied and learned chord tones so I'm not a one trick pony.I can slap, my double thumb is coming along. I'm pretty comfortable playing any style and I can improve great. Definitely trying to not sound arrogant. I know I'm not the greatest, but I feel if the list doesn't entail all I can do. You, the talk bass community won't be able to give me great feedback and I desperately want to take my playing to a new level and before You say teacher, I've tried tons in my local area 99% of the instructors are gui****s.The other 1% moved away and he was a great teacher he brought me to the level that let me leap to the level I'm at now. So talk bass a I ask with respect Help meh? eep.
     
  2. I looked at your profile - I know you are a guy and have posted 28 times, but, the profile did not tell me anything else. Would help if you would fill that out for us.

    Are you playing in a band right now and if so how is that going? Reason I ask knowing how to make modes, arpeggios, chord tones, etc. is great, however knowing how to use all that is really what is important. Are you using any of that to make music with other people, and if so how is it going?

    Give us a hint, what do you think you need to improve. Narrow that down and I bet someone will have some suggestions.
     
  3. Raw Amateur

    Raw Amateur

    Feb 9, 2011
    Montana
    Too bad you don't have any good teachers near you. You could benefit from a "master class".... Having a pro bass teacher take a look at your technique, showing you some modifications, and give you stuff to work on. Maybe small group seminar with a pro. Those are probably pretty expensive. But like Malcolm said, need a little bit more to work with in terms of what you think your weaknesses are.
     
  4. Dazzare

    Dazzare

    Dec 3, 2011
    Posting from my phone sorry for spelling/grammar. I guess my ear and double thumb needs work. With my ear I can get away with playing by ear but im never sure about the what key or what root note I should be playing. So im always playing something but it never the root note but it fits. The speed on my double thumb is prolly really slow compared to mg fingerstyle and slap.
     
  5. cire113

    cire113

    Apr 25, 2008
    take Skype lessons with anthony wellington problem solved
     
  6. Dazzare

    Dazzare

    Dec 3, 2011
    I'm playing with 3 bands ATM a band signed on an Indie Record label.(Singer Songwriter type.)

    A progressive rock group.(Think Like Tool with Two Guitarists easist way to explain them)

    A praise band.

    Refer to prior post to help narrow down .
     
  7. 1) Listen to music ALOT; try stuff like Anoushka Shankar, or some other Indian music. Go to concerts in BB Kings and other respectable clubs.
    2) Have a certain emotion(s) in mind when you play. It makes a WORLD of a difference.
    3) Jam as much as you can with different people.
     
  8. No question you have several types of music under control - how to improve is the question. Playing with others is normally the first thing that comes to mind, however, you are already doing this. Next is an instructor that does things you would like to master and that does not seem like it can happen locally. That leaves books and the Internet.

    Perhaps some deeper theory study would open some doors. Analyze other people's music and see what they did. Perhaps this post will get some other suggestions from the TB'ers.

    Good luck.
     
  9. Dazzare

    Dazzare

    Dec 3, 2011
     

Share This Page