1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not sure where to post this about compressors but here it goes ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Paul Orr, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Paul Orr

Paul Orr

Aug 13, 2019
    Syracuse, NY
    Hi guys ... I just started playing bass again in a group after 15 years away.

I am gigging a Markbass Little Mark II with a 2x10 cab, soon to add a second 2x10 cab.

I noticed certain notes are louder and more boomy than others. For example, an F is okay but an A note on either the E string or on an open A string is really loud.

Do I need a compressor or something?

Paul

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    It might be a matter of needing a good setup. I'd start with that.

superheavyfunk and lowplaces like this.
  3. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
  4. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    It may very well be the room and placement of the cab. Did you try it anywhere else? Move the cab within the same room or change the angle, if it's on the floor put it on a desk or vice versa before spending money on a pedal.

5. That would be my bet...

Element Zero likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I would add a decent comp and HPF just on general principle, irrespective of the rig and/or sonic anomalies. Lots of great suggestions above including placement.

Riis

lowplaces likes this.
  7. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    An HPF often helps with boomy notes (or clusters of notes) in the middle of the instrument's range in certain rooms and not others.

edited to add: "an HPF.. an 'igh pass filter!"

lowplaces likes this.
  8. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Unless you are hearing this in every room you play in, I'm going to guess it's the room. The 2nd harmonic of a low A is 110hz. 110hz wavelength is about 10 feet. If there are parallel walls (or floor and ceiling) that are about 10 feet apart, this frequency (and its lower and upper harmonics) will build up in the room and sound louder. If the amp is in a corner or even close to a wall, it will be more pronounced. And if I'm not mistaken these cabs are rear ported (I know some markbass cabs are)? Which will increase the "is it close to a corner or a wall" effect.

9. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'd definitely try options involving your amps tonestack and placement, as well as your onboard EQ (if you have an active bass) before shelling out on pedals. I believe that amp has the VPF knob, right? Try that out too. And definitely look into getting a set up done. Maybe your pickups just need balancing.

If none of that works, a compressor might fix the problem. I don't think an HPF would do the trick in this case.

10. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Let me start over...
    You need to discern whether this problem is the instrument, your amplification, or the environment.
    1. Does the same bass have the same problem with a different amplifier? if yes, address the instrument (setup, new strings, etc). Otherwise,
    2. Does the same amplifier in a different location have the same problem? If yes, see if adjusting your EQ is useful or try a different cabinet with the same amp. If the problem persists, try a different amp with the original cabinet. Otherwise,
    3. Reposition the cabinet to get rid of the artifacts or use EQ to mitigate them.
    This process of elimination is key before you even approach the rabbit hole of adding more devices to your signal chain (compressor, EQ, HPF, etc.) Start simple and progress methodically so that you find the actual root cause. Let us know what you find.

And I and catcauphonic like this.
  11. Paul Orr

Paul Orr

Aug 13, 2019
    Syracuse, NY
    I got a pro set up done. I have an American Deluxe Jazz Bass. What I found is the A string has a fairly straight line of site from the nut to the tuning peg. There is no headstock break like on a PRS or Les Paul six string. That created buzz on the open A which created resonating. We replaced the A string and added extra winds making the string wind down further on the peg. That stopped much of the resonating on the A string.

My amps does have a VPF knob and I will have to tinker with that. My band mates like thundering bass and while I do also, trying not to be overpowering is a challenge with that A string the way it is. Hopefully creating more break will solve some of that A string growl that over powers the rest of the strings.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  12. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Before you said it was either the open A or the 5th fret on the E string... which is it? The A string or any A note?

13. Paul Orr

Paul Orr

Aug 13, 2019
    Syracuse, NY
    The A string. Open A.

14. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA