1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not sure where to put this...after clarification - "Any distortion damages speakers"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by addylewis, Sep 28, 2009.

1. I just wanna check this out as I occaisionally gig with a mate who owns the P.A. we use with expensive subs (which he is pretty protective of)

I'm getting me a distortion pedal/valve preamp with built in D.I. + seperate D.I. volume...I heard a while ago the term "all distortion damages speakers" which I just wanna check before I pull this pedal out on 'im!

I'm going for a "Growling Jamerson/Motown tone" which will obviously use loads of bass/subs...if the output volume of the pedal is low enough to not peak the desk COULD it still damage the subs if it were run through the P.A.? (I wasn't D.I.ed at the last gig and my amp was peaking out and still too quiet...)

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Only if it's over-driving the speaker type of distortion.
    If the guy can play back a "Growling Jamerson/Motown tone" song at the volume you'll play at, it will be fine.

3. Ah...thought that may have been the case - cheers man!

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, if the speaker itself is distorting, e.g. making farting, buzzing, or spitting noises that don't come from the amp, then those are cues that it's being damaged. But distortion from the amp (or an effect) does not damage speakers. The idea that it does is an old well-worn myth that a lot of people still repeat as gospel.

5. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    If any distortion damaged speakers, we'd have tons and tons of guitarist friends that would be replacing speakers left and right. ;)