1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not Sure Where to Put this: But I need knobs!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ben Coffin, May 2, 2010.

1. Ben Coffin

Ben Coffin

Dec 8, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    :help:So I'm in the final process of building an all tube amp for my school engineering project (pics will be coming :D fear not) But I bought pots with a 8mm smooth bushing. I can't seem to find knows that fit anywhere, and I ordered some Marshall knobs but they fit 6mm not 8. Can anyone help me out?

Dome or bell shaped knobs are preferable, as are set screws, and in gold or black, the chassis of the amp is gold, and it has a brown western tolex with beige fender tweed. Any help would be awesome!!

2. rob4001va

rob4001va

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    maybe here?
    http://www.fliptops.net/

or allparts?
    or basspartsresource?

though the last two are prolly more instrument-related. Certainly bassparts is.

3. Ben Coffin

Ben Coffin

Dec 8, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    Only problem is I can't tell what size they fit. The pots aren't knurled or D shaft, so most of those wouldn't really work... I want to find something that blatantly says 8mm

4. cliffbass1

cliffbass1

Jun 1, 2003
    Minnesota
  5. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
  6. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    When did standard off the shelf 1/4" pots go out of style? Did I sleep through a decade or something?

BOB

7. Wondering the same Bob.......Had to look real hard to find larger shafts............don't go there................:p

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    what kind of pots did you buy that have an 8mm shaft? i've never seen any that big?

9. Ben Coffin

Ben Coffin

Dec 8, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    Yeah buying the 8mm shaft was not my best idea, they're Alpha pots from Tube Depot. I got those because I was making one big order from the site and I couldn't get all the pots I needed in other bushing sizes.

And Marshall Knobs are 6mm, or at least the ones I bought were.

10. The same for me. 1/4" and 6mm is all I know of.

Depending on the actual size of the bushing in the knob you choose, you may be able to drill out the knob and still retain enough metal for the set screw to hold.

Otherwise take out the oddball pots and replace them with standards.

Paul

11. Ben Coffin

Ben Coffin

Dec 8, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    Yeah, given that the project is due next monday, I probably won't be ordering new pots. If they make pots with 8mm bushing, then some has to sell a knob that'll fit!! That would make sense to me lol.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    If the bushing is 8 mm the shaft itself is probably 6 or maybe 6.3. Have you actually measured it though?

13. Hi.

I've never seen 8mm shaft potentiometers for sale anywhere either, but I've seen them in old heavy duty el. equipment and automation machinery. Not the kind to use in amps though ;).

Got a pic?

Regards
    Sam

14. Ben Coffin

Ben Coffin

Dec 8, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    So I would just like to preface this with I may be the dumbest poster on TalkBass, and if moderators decide to delete me for sheer stupidity, I will not be offended.:bawl::bawl::bawl:

Turns out the bushing of the pots are 8mm, but the shaft size is 1/4".:meh: I feel incredibly dumb. :scowl:New knobs are one their way...

15. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    So you made a mistake. Anyone else who hasn't hold up your hand.
    I predict no takers so you are in good company. Live and Learn...the way of life!
    Glad you figured it out.
    ;)