Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not Sure Where To Put This... Squier P-Bass Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kiada, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Kiada

Kiada

Mar 11, 2005
    Kendal
    Yeah.. basically im pretty new to playing bass. I have a Squier P-Bass but I've recently managed to catch the cable when plugged in (grrr..) an its cracked my scratchplate around the output jack. It didn't look too bad at first, so I just ordered a new scratchplate... but then it flaked off around the jack, an then the jack dissapeared inside. I removed the corner bit of scratchplate an a few screws so i could try an get the jack bit back in the open so I could plug it back into my amp or PC (an maybe sellotape it in place until my scratchplate came..? lol)

But yeah... I got it sorta into the open, then the white wire 'soldered' to the jack came off. An I have a soldering kit, but I dont wanna get my hands dirty before finding out exactly what needs doing.

I noticed the jack has 2 metal soldering pads to solder on to.. but theres only one loose (white) wire? An the back of the scratchplate has a foil sort-of covering on the back, so I'm wondering how i put it back together again? The foils sorta flaked off around where the jack was on the back aswell (which im guessing, once removing the scratchplate shouldnt be too hard to fix).

I wont have the replacement scratchplate for a couple of weeks, so I was really trying to make a compromise to get my bass working until then... I have some pics if it'd be of any help. I'd really appreciate any help I can get with this.

Pic 1 - Jack

Pic 2 - Inside Bass

Pic 3 - Damage

Thanks a lot
    Kiada

2. Kiada

Kiada

Mar 11, 2005
    Kendal
    Ahhh ha, i did a search but didnt come up with anything :-/ obviously didnt realise the site'd give me that much info. Thanks ill give it a look, appreciate it...

3. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Looks like there is room to drill a new hole and mount the jack in the area between the broken edge and the pot.

4. gkintn

gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    Cut to the chase and just buy a new pickguard. If it doesn't come with the foil backing you can hardwire the ground connection which should be hardwired anyway. While your at it get rid of the junk chinese output jack and put in a USA made switchcraft jack.

The mexican and chinese Fenders are OK in the wood and hardware department. However they really cut corners with cheap electronics.

My mexican P-bass is a great instrument, though I had to swap out the pickup and jack for decent USA made parts.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Moved to Setup.