1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not sure why I just thought of this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    So, after playing bass for almost thirty years, I came to this realization:

I have complained for a while that I LOVE my Geddy Lee bass but it's just too bright for the classic rock cover gigs I play. That's why my P-Bass has won in 90% of occasions. Well, how is it possible that with ampeg gear and a BASS guitar I can't get low end? I realized that the sound I love alone in my rehearsal space is fine for soloing, but when I go live, covering the low end, all I need to do is, um, er, turn UP the bass knob...

Sorry for oversimplifying, but, sheesh! I feel I can share this "what the heck was I thinking" moment with fellow bassists.

2. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA

3. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    Yeah, with an increase in volume and/or a change of venue, it's always wise to rethink the eq a bit. Glad you finally figured that out. You'd be surprised how many players still don't get that.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Funny how often people will forget that their amps also have EQ knobs ;)

5. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    It's true. I think we think that the sound we get alone in a garage or basement will just magically translate to where ever we are. That's my next level of bass maturity (after 30 years!) is understanding room dynamics.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I usually use my bass's pre to set the tone I want, and I use the amp's EQ to help match my bass's tone to the room I'm playing in. Remember, sometimes cutting back on some things instead of boosting them is the way to go.