Not that old chestnut!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russjm, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Yes, I'm sorry to bring it up again, I'm sure it's been talked about before, but...

What is the real difference between a Mexican made Fender Precision, and a US made one? I have a MIM p bass, with the following upgrades:
    Badass 2 bridge
    Basslines QP pickup
    US pots.

So, what reason would I now have to change the bass for a US one? Is the timber a higher quality on the US ones? I mean the rosewood neck on mine is gorgeous, smooth and great to play, and I really love the wine red colour, especially with a replacement black pickguard.

I assume the only real difference on these basses is the hardware, which I have now upgraded anyway?

Thanks for your help,

2. ive played many many fenders both american and mexican and i will stand by the fact that imo some of the mexicans can be more solid and better made than the americans. ime its all about the individual bass and fenders quality control is lacking severly (i think many here will agree with me)
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive never played a mim fender that has had as rigid of feeling neck as its mia counterpart. the fretwork usually isnt as good either. its a lot more than just the hardware.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ok, I give up... How is the title in any way related to your question??

5. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Take the on line Fender factory tour and you'll learn that the the necks on the "Mexican" instruments are made in California and finished in Mexico. The quality is consitantly good. I've had about 6 MIM basses and once I've done the basic upgrades I found them to be on par with any standard Fender American instrument; Matter of fact they sounded even better with higher quality components that the American basses (preamp, pickups and bridge plus a good set-up).
    Again, lots of people will tell you different but do some objective research; Start with the on-line Fender factory tour, you'll be impressed!!

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have picked up a few MIMs that were every bit as good as the MIAs. I'm not a big Fender guy, but I played this 5 string model that was very, very good, even better than the MIAs I picked up that day.
  7. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    There's a MIA P at the local shop that nobody's buying (it's orange). I Have to say, it looks quality, the finish is great, felt like a brick :(, but it played great.

Wasn't going to fool around with it too much, since I wasn't going to buy it...

I suppose it's like the Toyota vs Lexus argument, both are fine vehicles.
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm happy with my Toyota Corolla
  9. Er.........

I guess it may be an English saying :eyebrow: , meaning, not that subject again !

It's just that I find myself wanting a precision with the words "made in usa" on the headstock, and I don't know if it's really necessary.
  10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I see... please forgive the dumb American...

On the bass... Do you like the sound you get from your modded MIM??? If so then it's not necessary.
  11. Nah, it's a stupid saying anyway.

As far as the bass goes, yeah, it sounds great, not quite as great as my Yamaha BB3000S, but I like it. I guess I'm just a sucker for labels.
  12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    General rule of thumb:

Your ears wont lie...

13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What year is yours?