Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not the OZZY I remember

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by demolition, Mar 1, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Over the last 6 months or so I have totally lost all the original opinion I had of OZZY,I remember many a nite hanging out in my best friends basement drinking beer,playing tunes,hanging out discussing music(like whos better ? sabbath or Zep)and playing some pool.
    When I first starting out with these new friends I was a Zep fiend period the end,but my new friends turned me on to sabbath songs that were not usually on the radio(anything else besides paranoid,w/pigs,iron man ETC.)and I was hooked.
    At that time in my life I was an up and comming drummer who worshiped Bonham,but a man called OZZY taught me how to rock out and have fun with music.
    Now I see this bumbling fool on MTV. that is a total joke and a fool to all who cross his path,his kids mock him,his wife rules him,his dogs take advantage of him and the T.V. crews film it all at paste it across the screen for the world to laugh at the man who once sang the song megalomaniac,w/pigs,after forever,behind the wall of sleep,N.I.B.,hand of doom,ETC. and it pains me to see what a fool he has become.
    This is the man who sang for one of the most hard rockin bands of all time,whos voice and presence was as evil and diabolical as the devil himself and now he's a studdering,drooling wimp who gets laughed at every week on that pathetic channel M.T.V. :mad:
    I am not calling him a sell out,or am angry that he sold his private life to a channel who does'nt even play his music,but am more like saddened by what he has become,its like he's no longer the same dude who led sabbath.
    I myself would not sell out to a reality show if I had his money,but I dont condem him for doing it(but I dont agree either)his wife makes him do any and all apperances possible to make more money to fatten up her jewerly collection,and spoil his sad sack son who has no buisness anywhere on tv,or his spoiled daughter who could'nt carry a note if it had a handle let alone do a duet on T.V to bost her failing music career.
    Sorry about the anger but its been killing me and I needed to un-load it before I strangle someone.
    P.S. my stomach turns when i see his 2 mellon headed kids acting like a couple of spoiled brats,let them get a job and live on their own on a deserted island never to be seen again :hyper:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    IMO music-related. Moved to misc.

3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    That's show business! Kinda the "give 'em what they want" mentality.

For years the Ozz was seen as a wild, party-hard type rock hero--and that's exactly what was presented on stage. Now that his private life is show business as well, you can bet that the producers egg him on to "give-them-what-they-want". Let's face it--if his life was plain, run of the mill, average citizen--who would watch the show??

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    So how well did you personally know Ozzy in the "good old days"? How can you say you think what he's become is pathetic when you never knew him to begin with? All you know is what you've seen on TV. There was no "The Osbournes" back in the 70's-maybe he was the same back then. He's been with Sharon for that long, and they've obviously had their kids for most of that time. Don't point the finger at someone else when your own misconceptions are proven wrong.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree, demolition...people need to know when to hang it up. I remember wishing Ozzy would retire 10 years ago. Now he's really pathetic.

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    It was definitely a dumb idea to make the Osbournes show.

Sharon probably did the deal though...

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    truth.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    IMO, although he's not the same as he used to be, Muhammad Ali still commands the respect of everyone around him and you can still sense his power. One scene I remember from the '96 Atlanta Olympics is Muhammad Ali being the final torch bearer. What a moving moment.

I think what demolition is saying is that Ozzy used to have a reputation for being a badass. The prince of darkness. But with his tv show he's ruining his reputation as a badass, and demolition is disappointed by it.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Reputation? Are you disappointed he doesn't sit at home chewing bat heads off talking about the son of satan all the time? It's entertainment, and that "badass" lifestyle was fabricated to sell records, for the most part. The real thing about his BA reputation that is true is/was his substance abuse, which is what turned him into who he is today. Instead of pissing on the Alamo, he's chucking logs at the neighbors for blasting "my girl".

I don't pretend to know him either, but I would guess he's the same guy he has always been, minus some working brain cells, and add a few years. His record company is the one that decided to portray him as the prince of darkness. The MTV series is probably closer to the truth.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What's sadder is that there haven't been enough stylish and original acts to replace some of these older rockers. We're stuck with these old guys needing to be difibrillated to perform or, the naval gazing "woe is me" teenage whine.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    P. Aaron is right! The guy cooked all his braincells to give us decades on great music. But no other bands are filling the voids of our old school jammers from back in the day. So we give them a bunch of scripts, kickstart thier hearts and put back up on stage to bumble through the tunes that changed the face of rock over 25 years ago. The first couple Sabbath albums came of just before I was born and I still think its the $#!+. But yeah he should just hang it up.

12. Ozzy is a prime example of what years of drugs, touring, and stress can do to a person. I think of him being what Kurt Cobain would've became had he lived. Has anyone seen Ozzy live recently? How was it?

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think it would just be drugs. there are folks who have toured just as long, or almost as long, with stress too that don't look or act as ... broken.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I seen him about three years ago with the Black Sabbath line up. He screwed up a few verses but they sounded great and were entertaining. I think he must be declining a lot since because he looks and sounds a lot worse on MTV.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Was he doing that leapfrog thing?

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let's face it: Ozzy's not the Ozzy Ozzy remembers. In fact I doubt Ozzy even remembers Ozzy at all. I sure as hell don't, and if you do, you weren't there. That's all.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion:

1. Don't bitch about Sharon, she helped MAKE Ozzy's solo career, and without her, he would likely have been dead years ago. Say what you want about her personality, but she's a sharp business person.

2. Ozzy's condition is because of his years of voluntary drug use. His choice, his consequence. Learn from it.

3. Ozzy was never, at any time during Sabbath or afterwards, a very intelligent or creative person. The 'hits' were all penned, for the most part, by others of incredible talent. Geezer Butler, Randy Rhoades, Bob Daisley, and a host of others. Without them, Ozzy's hits wouldn't have made the grade, IMO.

4. I enjoyed Ozzy's career, had some nice moments in my youth. Tuck it away for what it was, and keep the memories.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It just goes to show that priorities change as you age. Sure the stones are still rocking and it's good to know it's possible to do that, but it's also good to know there are other options. Ozzy's burnt out and even he knows it.

I for one would love to settle into a bumbling fool's life with a wife and a couple kids. Then I could stop pretending I'm so hip. :smug:

As for the kids, they do seem to be very spoiled.

You didn't hear it from me, but the rumuor is girls kiss Jack Osborn with the hopes he will turn into a prince. :D

19. Even if it is all his own fault (which it is) he is still one of rock's best singers, IMO.

20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    A couple of points. Sharon is the great woman behind the great man. It is my belief that the reasons that Ozzy is so difficult to understand when he speaks are that he grew the up speaking English with a cockney accent and later in life developed what his doctors call something like a non-specific hereditary stammer. The stuttering problem he has runs in his family and is not caused by anything that he has done chemically or otherwise. As far as his antics on the MTV program go, well - I've never seen it. I'm a huge Ozzy and Black Sabbath fan, but I can't bring myself to watch empty vee for any reason. I will say though, that what ever he does, just remember - Ozzy is the ultimate entertainer and the television program is intended to be entertainment so I am not at all surprised that Ozzy would "play it up" for the sake of entertainment. And just in case anybody is reading who doesn't already know this - Ozzy never intentionally bit the head off a bat. Ever. He did bite the head off of a bat by accident when somebody threw one on stage and he honestly thought it was a toy. Now the dove at the contract signing meeting with the record execs - well that was on purpose, to hear he and Sharon tell it he was pretty drunk that day...