Not thinking about what I'm playing?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sn0wblind, Mar 26, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    When I practice I always think about the notes I play, does anybody know any tricks/tips/exersice to help me ignore what Im playing??? (Im hoping that this will lead to some singing while playing, in the future)....

I can "sing" to some songs like Territorial Pissings by Nirvana and For Whom The Bell Tolls etc...
    becuz I know when the note changes during the vocals..

I was watching a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert on MTV2 and John(guitar) walked over Flea(bass) and they started talking and laffon' ...... Same with Jason Newsted of Metallica.. On the Cunning Stunts DVD, I saw jason talking to someone in the crowd and laffing ......and none of these guys screwed up..... I know the play the song a million times, but I know the songs that I can play really well....

Anyways I need some help...I dont wanna think about what Im playing
  2. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I don't think that there's any specific lessons or techniques you can learn - eventually, you'll be able do it. (Bear in mind how long Flea and Jason Newsted have been playing.) It's not really something that can be consiously worked on - it eventually comes without thinking.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Actually, you SHOULD be thinking while you're practicing - that's what practicing is all about...learning new stuff. The time not to think is when you are playing. At that point, you should have practiced enough that the music flows out of you without your thinking about it. Just my .02c...
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It's kind of a trade off... if you play something often enough and you do it over and over and over and over and over and over, eventually, it just becomes like a reflex of your hand. On the flipside, there's also the possibility that you'll lose some of the artistic expression while you're at it. Don't know if that made any sense.