Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not to great tone at high volumes.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basroil, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    I have SWR LA12(60W), and when I turn it to full or almost full, it gets very rumbly, some distortion to, an not as rich and warm. Is just something natural that happens at high volumes, or can a EQ or Compresser fix that?

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Running an amp at full power or near full power will cause it to damage itself and your speaker.

I'll never understand why amps aren't limited in their ability to destroy themselves. If there's a reason for why they don't have a "governer" (for lack of a better term) I would appreciate knowing it.

3. Research the plethora of threads here and stickied in FAQ about clipping to learn more about how and why solid states do what they do at full volume. It will help you know where to set your volume and also how EQ affects how loud you can set ur amp too

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    That's a good point. Why do they do this?

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The LA Series sucks anyway.

6. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    This is very true and most prevailent in the lower end practice end of the market. The reality is that your amp was never designed to be used in a band situation or for any other loud application and as such is both struggling and in danger of damaging the speaker through clipping.

Even with higher end equipment, it is advisable to obtain an amp with more headroom than necessary for a given situation in order to maintain effective control over the sound. The exception to this rule is with all valve set ups where some players want to push the power valves into distortion to obtain a certain sound.

7. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    +1

also, having to turn your amp all the way up is the best way to tell:

a) Your bandmates need to turn down.
    or
    b) You need a more powerful/efficient amp.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Some amps do have a built in limiter. The Peavey DDT circuit is one. Unfortunately it degrades the sound to a noticeable degree.

I too see many new players trying to get a small amp designed only for practice crank out live volume levels. Then they say "brand X sucks" because it won't keep up. If you want high volume you have to pay for it.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, the Peavey DDT. Crest Professional and CA series amps have clip limiters. IIRC, certain Crown amps do, and some other models require a certain PIP card installed. Current and recent QSC amps have clip limiters. There are some others from other brands as well.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

like the others mentioned, bigger speakers, more power is needed for you keep up. name of the game.

11. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    +1 on the advice so far regarding your lack of power

i learned about this interesting phenomena of solid state clipping the hard way back when i used to play guitar...being young and in love (and a broke student), i sold my stack to buy a christmas present for my girlfriend, so i had to save up and buy a solid state amp to play through...short story--i melted 2 of them running them near full volume and then just sold the 3rd i received as replacement under warranty before i opened it...i bought only tube guitar amps from there on out because they sound better the louder i run them:)

bass is a different ballgame, and i've owned a couple of good ss bass heads...but i still prefer tubes

12. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Well, I dont need to turn it at full power, Im fain at half usually. I just have a few times, and wanted to know. Ill probaly get a 450W Behringer when I need soemthing louder. Thanks for the replies!

Sorry for not searching, I always forget.