1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not to sound greedy, but..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Apr 28, 2009.

Should we get paid?

Poll closed Jun 11, 2009.
  1. Yes, you should get paid

118 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No, you should not get paid

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Shouldn't even play the gig

36 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Here's the deal..

My gui****s next door neighbours are having a wedding coming up, but they're having a little party before it, a "Jack and Jill." So they asked us if we could play there, we said sure, blah blah blah... Here's the thing.. They told my gui****s dad that they weren't going to pay us (he asked them).

Here is how I see it..

- They are hiring us to play at their party
    - They are making us rent a P.A (ours isn't fit for this..) (and they never even offered)

I see it just like a bar hiring a band for a Friday night, and that band would get paid, so why wouldn't we?

I just needed to get that out..

What do you guys think?

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    They NEED to spring for the P.A. (how is yours not suitable?)

if you play for free it shouldn't cost you.

you should get dibs on the wedding presents.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    They should pay for the PA regardless. If yours doesn`t suit them, then they can pay for one that does. If you`re playing just as friends and can come down whenever and get drinks and food, then I`d stop at the PA. However, if they want you to do this as a legit gig where you may get finger food or drinks after you perform your set and then have to leave, then you should get payed as a legit band.

Reasons for pay: This is taking time out of your schedule. You have to move the equipment. You have to pay for gas(assuming not all your gear is next door. Etc..

One more thing. Pay should always be one of the first things you ask about every gig. Make this a lesson that your guitarists dad covered your butts on this one by bringing this up now instead of after when you guys could be standing around expecting pay and them not giving any over.

4. scotty77

scotty77

Jan 31, 2008
    Victoria, B.C.
    Do you need the gig that bad? If not, I'd say "Sorry, but we can't do the gig as we can't afford to get the equipment to be able to play to our standard. If you can cover the rental of said equipment, we'd be happy to do it for you."
    Just be carefull though, sounds like this could be a sticky gig. If they are not prepared to pay for that rental ($100.00?), things could get ugly down the road with expectations or complaints. Be careful and write down everything promised.
    I find in my business that the people you have the most problems with are the ones that want something for free. If they respect your right to make a living, they usually give you respect as well.
    Good luck with it. Hope I'm wrong.

5. BassRookie

BassRookie

Mar 31, 2009
    Middletown, NJ
    I don't think you're being greedy at all.

Would these people hire a caterer or a DJ and not pay them? What's the difference between that and your services?

If they are making you rent the PA then they should cover the cost. At the very least they should be covering all expenses, especially if they're not paying you for the gig.

If it was me and they will not (at least) cover all expenses, I wouldn't do it. Why should I pay out of my pocket to provide somebody with a service.

It seems that they are just trying to take advantage of a few kids. I think that "Jack & Jill" have big balls expecting you to play for nothing AND cover the cost of a PA.

6. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    I don't think you should do the gig.

I run a 'weddings and cover' band in the UK - been at it since '94 (waaayyyyyyy too long) and I can tell you that as a rule of thumb the less people play the more they expect.

Firstly unless you're going to play originals you shouldn't do the gig. Even if they agree to stump up the cash for the PA - why should you play for free?

IF they decide they'll pay PA and some cash for the guys playing YOU MUST GET A CONTRACT. Specifying how long you'll play, what time you'll finish, etc etc. That way EVERYONE knows what's required. That way when you 'finish' they can't come up (when they've had too much to drink) and say: Come on, play for another hour guys.

I don't know what level your band is at (in terms of: are you professional, semi-pro, just starting out) but I always ask myself two questions before I accept any gigs for my band:

1) Is it going to pay an acceptable fee
    2) Is it the service we offer the kind of service that the client is actually looking for (I've had dodgy agents in the past trying to pass us off as an ABBA show that does 90 mins of Abba - we do 3 songs. I once had an Agent trying to sell us to a client who wanted a country & western evening - definitely not us.)

My 10 pence (see how the pound has deflated???) - seriously unless they are serious and have money to pay then just phone them and say you'll have to pass....

7. I'd agree with the people that have said that they should at least pay for the PA. Since you are friends with them then it would be your choice to ask for pay. (Maybe at mates rates or something?) Or just do it as their wedding present or something?

I don't really know... That's just what I reckon. But you definitely shouldn't have to pay for PA hire.

8. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Unless you're an originals band, for which exposure is great whether it comes with money or not, you should get paid. You are performing a service. The guitarist might be personal friends with them, but even then, he's not obligated to perform a service for free for them. And you most certainly aren't.

I once played a wedding for free. But the person getting married was my older sister. I was my older sister and the rest of the band was made up of relatives.

I would not play at the wedding of someone I did not know for free.

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I'm speechless... Some people just seem to look down on musicians when expecting them to offer them services without paying a cent. No pay, no play. If they aren't willing to pay you, they are probably not that interested in having you playing there, or: they're trying to fool you. I'd be offended if somebody would ask me to play at their party and expect me to pay for it (rent a PA, for instance). No way. :rollno: If it's a friend of the whole band, I could perhaps agree on playing for free, but not otherwise. By accepting to play for free, you accept people are not taking your music seriously.

This topic makes me more and more angry the more I think about it.

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Yeah, seriously. We're musicians, not trained monkeys.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Go round with a tip jar during the speeches and embarass them!! :p

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    They either need to cover your expenses, and supply you with food and drinks (If you'll do it just for fun.) Or.... Supply you with enough alcohol so that you are waaaay to ****faced to play.... Or...... Pay the standard gig rate and make you guys buy your own beer.

13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    A gig is a gis is a gig.

The fact that they are neighbors at the absolute most may get them a small discount but thats about it.

They're going to give you the "Good Exposure" pitch?

Charge them full bore and you'll still be half the price of a DJ.

GET PAID!

14. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Like everyone else has said, charge for the PA at the very least. If it's a wedding and you're likely to see the people again, be careful how you handle it. It's supposed to be their big day after all so it wouldn't be nice to p**s on their chips. Maybe tell them where you stand in terms of rental PA cost etc. It also depends on how pro you are - would you get booked for another wedding, and would you charge for that one?

We have something similar coming up soon. My drummers parents are renewing their vows so we are playing at the reception. We're nowhere near pro and so are simply looking at it as experience and a bit of fun.

15. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    +1
    I was just asked to play a wedding yesterday and I just said "We're not a wedding band" because that is the truth. I was also recently asked to play for free at a charity event but we just did a charity event last month and although we love to do charity work, we limit it to once or twice a year.
    Here's my main point. A wedding is NOT a charity event even though the groom is doomed for all eternity!

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Just walk away...

17. If you decide to do the show have them get the PA themselves and return it. If anything happens to it, its their as#ses not yours.

18. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Pass on it. Not even close.

19. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    Are they friends? Were you invited to the wedding?

If they are, that's not a bad wedding present, and that may be what they had in mind... If so, it sounds like a better way to spend a wedding than sitting around with someone's inlaws talking about !#$%

If they aren't then all bets are off, I'd treat it just like a normal gig. And while I might play for free I wouldn't pay to play for free unless there was some experience I wanted to get out of it.

20. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    It might be entertaining if there is alot of booze.
    Drunk dancers are funny especially when they are in goofy brides maid outfits!