Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not too expensive 8-strings bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by werner vw, Dec 5, 2005.

1. werner vw

werner vw

Mar 26, 2004
    paris
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Doesn't look crappy to me. I've read not so good things about those Galveston basses, but for an 8 string under a grand I don't think there's much to choose from.

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Unless I'm mistaken, the Galveston is the only production 8 string made. There may be another company somewhere, though .....

Galveston makes some decent looking basses, but from the several I've tried (including one 8 string) they all have the same set of issues. First, the bridge is a really wierd arrangement. The saddles are not fixed to the bridge at all, so if you loosen a string the saddle itself comes off. Also, finer adjustments on the bridge don't seem to be possible no matter how much you adjust it.

Intonation was poor on every one I played. I don't know if its got something to do with the bridge issues, or if there is an inherent problem with the neck/frets on these basses, but it's not good.

The hardware on every Galveston I've ever picked up was cheap. Several of the tuners jumped, almost like they have dead spots. Tuning was a drag. The electronics were decent... not great, but decent.

They are definitely inexpensive, especially for an 8 string. The basic body is probably good enough to work with for a while but you'd likely have to change everything to make it a gigging bass .... new tuners, new bridge, new nut, fret leveling, likely new electronics, new strings for sure.

I know it seems tempting due to the low price, but if there is any possible way to try any Galveston (4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 string) before buying, you should do it. Every one of these basses, regardless of string count, seems to have the same set of problems.

If anybody has one of the newer ones, maybe they can comment .... it's possible they've corrected some of their issues ........ :cool:

4. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I played one of those 8 string, not sure if the owner changed any of the hardware, but I know it had the stock electronics.

It sounded and played pretty darn well. String to string balance was good. Tone was respectable for the price.

just my 2 cents.