1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not too wet Phaser and Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    So right now i'm thinking of ways to stray away from the JC board and get a better envelope filter and a phaser.

Now the filters and phasers i've been looking at are:

Mutron
    Subdecay Quasar
    Meatball
    Gurgle and Moan
    and some i forgot XD

All of these filters and phaser seem a little too wet for my liking. I like the BR-2's sound but it only has that one sound. Maybe i'm missing a control on the filters and phasers that control the "wetness" but right now, it's a tad too wet for my liking :]

The Mutron sound Juan is getting on the song Goliath is pretty cool..

2. Boomstick Bottom Feeder, that, and the EMMA are pretty subtle filters compared to what else is out there. Is that what you are inquiring about?

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    edit:

Ohh, i'm liking the EMMA. Anyone got anything to say about it?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, there have been craploads of threads about it. I agree that the EMMA and the various Tonefactor (now Boomstick) variations of the old DOD filter are among the "least wet" filters I've heard.

5. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have an EMMA. Yes it is subtle. When I first got it I did not like that about it. :meh: Now...I would cry if it came up missing. It is built well and is interactive with your bass. I also have a EH Nano Small Stone. Not too wet either. I would not change that though.:) Hope that helps.

6. +1

The Emma is suttle. Also, the Subdecay might be up your alley for a phaser (due to its versatility, you can dial out wet).

just my .02

7. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    My Moogerfooger Filter and Phaser aren't much of what I would call wet, but they can do dirty better than most anything.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    My take on the Boomstick/DOD 440 and the EMMA is basically that if you want subtle and spacey, you take the former and if you want subtle and funky, you take the latter.

I wouldn't call label the Small Stone as "not too wet". As phasers go it isn't that subtle, and it isn't tweakable enough to change how wet it is.

9. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I think the quasar'd be a good choice.. tweakable, but not too crazy and wet.

10. The the Maxon PH-350 is great. It has loads of sounds, with 3 different stage, 4, 6 and 10. So that means you can cop Jet Phase tone along with a fuzz when set to 10. It can also get very nice and subtle on 4.

I highly recommend it.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not so wet phaser..... an MXR Phase 45 or a clone of it like the Mojo Hand Nebula

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Just another dude chiming in to agree on the EMMA DiscoBob being subtle. Great in that regard, but I need sloppy poopy so that's why I ditched mine.

13. The Stereo Polyphase also has a ton of tweakability, so I bet you could dial out a lot of the wetness. Also, it has an envelope mode, so it might fill both needs of yours ....

14. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    TC Electronics phaser has a lot of varous possibilities, from very mild, to crazy

15. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah i also have to look up the TC Electronics phaser. So i'll definitely get the EMMA then and the Quasar is on top of the list.

16. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    +1

I wasn't sure how I liked DiscoBob when I first got it either, but then I played it live...it cuts through the mix like butter and is funky-funky !

17. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1!

The Polyphase easily does subtle, and can even be tweaked to sweep in different directions and/or affect only a narrow range of frequencies.

The envelope mode is cool, too, and it can also be very subtle if desired. There isn't a pedal out there that sounds like it (except maybe the Pigtronix EP-1).

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    polyphase is much too big! If anyone has seen my board, finding room as it is was a challenge!

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I blame your Tonebender and your duo of flangers.

I'd suggest getting a tiny Tonebender clone and ditching one flanger. :ninja:

The Polyphase is 6" x 4.75", BTW. See if you can fit that into your board, now that you know how big it really is. :D

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You'll be served best by the Pig EP-1 and based on what I read here, probably the Polyphase also.

Tight board? Well, running out of room means you have arrived as an FX whore.:smug: