Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not trying to be rude; how CAN you play a 6+ string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kyo, Jul 24, 2004.

1. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i just mean, the neck is so fat...i tried to play one the other day, i could hardly get my hand around that thing! :oops: it was just so much bass to bear. not trying to disrespect or anything but do any of you 6ers have trouble adjusting to it? is it just a time thing, cus when i tried it it didnt seem like i'd ever be able to master it

2. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    I am scared of 6+ stringers. Really. The necks intimidate me. Thats why I stick to 4 or 5 strings.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've tried a couple, and they can be mighty intimidating -- especially to one with as small hands as myself. However, my teacher drilled proper left hand technique into me harder than anyone I've ever heard of, and it really was a minor left hand adjustment. Problem was, I kept plucking the wrong strings! :eek:

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Your thumb doesn't have to wrap around the top of the neck, y'know. Most 6-string necks are no wider than an Eggo waffle, and I've never had a problem holding one of those.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Best. Analogy. Ever.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Worst Comic Book Guy impression. Ever.

7. It helps to keep your thumb below the centerline of the neck, and I find I have to play with my left hand fingers fairly flat most of the time. Finding your way around the strings is more familiarity than anything else.

Johann

8. poppamies

poppamies

Dec 15, 2002
    I don't play 6-string, I don't even play 5-string but I have been playing 4-string bass for 30+ yerars. That's the one and only way to play bass. Keeping the thumb on the "skunk stripe". When you use the right technique with the fretting hand there can't be any problem, even with a 6-string or 6+string instrument.

9. Well, within limits - I don't think my hands could cope with that 11-string even with immaculate technique, my hands are just small. :)

But I am comfortable with my 6 and my 8 (formerly 7).

10. poppamies

poppamies

Dec 15, 2002
    If your hands feel too small then your bass is too big. A harp is a harp and a bass is a bass.

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Oh boy...

GET READY TO RUMBLE!!

:help: :bag: :ninja:

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno...I played a 4-string exclusively for 20 years. Then I bought a 6. It took a little adjustment, but I pretty much view it as a 4-string with the ability to add notes on either side of the 4. After 1-1/2 years with the 6, I've found I can switch back and forth with ease. It was a very minor adjustment, IMO.

13. if you would search, i'm sure you would find what you're looking for.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    That's more of a problem than the left hand.

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Well, that should start a good weekend battle.[​IMG]

16. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    My teacher taught me left hand technique with a drumstick. Starting at my 3rd lesson, he held a drumstick in his hand while I played scales for 5-10 minutes. However much of my thumb poked over the back of the neck, he hit with the drumstick. HARD!

17. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Technique is the only way you'll play a 6+ well. With bad technique even a 4 won't sound as good as it can. I have small hands and I can handle a seven just fine. An 8 or 9 wouldn't be out of the question for me.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    exactly. in my experience with folks starting out this sometimes ends up being a case of "running before crawling". technical rudiments and just general cleanliness in technique might be able to be gotten away with on a 4 but a 6 or 7 or more demands a greater and greater attention to the details of playing, such as proper hand placement, wrist angle and even overall posture.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Agreed! That's why I gave it back to my teacher :p.

Joe: Sounds like quite the effective teaching method. I shall remember that!