Not using any bass amplification products

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Hello, I am asking for advice on the feasibility of such a set-up.

Running a bass through a DI box into a Rack EQ, then power amp, and a bass 4x10 cabinet.

Is there anything inherently wrong with this setup, and will it give me more flexibility, EQ-wise?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There is a problem. You're effectively using the EQ as a pre-amp. You'd have to run the gain on the EQ full tilt to get the signal strong enough for the power amp to amplify it properly. Doing so usually adds noise and hiss to the audio signal.

But don't take my word for it. Try it out and see how it goes.
  3. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    If you're looking to "idealize" your "minimalist" rig, and have the resources... check into getting an Avalon U5 DI/Preamp.

The Avalon'll give you a line out to send to the power amp... a mic out to send to the PA... and six tone filters to choose from in order to best complement your bass. You won't even need the graphic, IMO. Even more streamlined!

I would run my U5 into 1,000 watts of Mackie powered PA speakers. It was the tone of the gawdz. :bassist:

Soundmen loved the signal they got at the board.

If you've got a nice accurate cab and a power amp with lots of clean power, the Avalon will really bring out every single ounce of natural tone lurking in your bass.

Just make sure that's what you really, really want. :)
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You need a preamp to go with this.
  5. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Thanks for the advice. I'm using a Peavey Sessionbass as a preamp now, and running it into a Peak EU800 power amp.

I'm looking for a lighter 2U power amp that will put out about 600 - 800 watts bridged @ 8ohms, so I thought I'd toy around with other ideas.

Tad difficult to come across gear at good prices over here in Perth. I'm still a uni student so, not working as yet :(

Looks like I'll continue looking for the power amps then. Does anyone know of any which are sold in the USA dual-voltage? I know the Alesis Reference series is.

I don't want to pay anything more than $400 after shipping, so used items would be a good bet as well. Thanks.
  6. Right now I'm using a setup similar to the one you asked about. Aguilar db924 outboard preamp---JBL graphic EQ---QSC USA900 power amp.

I think this is a very functional, good sounding rig. The aggie puts out a low level signal similar to a di box. The JBL has an input and output level which can sufficiently boost the signal just like a preamp would. I get no added noise from doing this. Sounds very clean. Into the power amp and BAM!

I think this is just like using a DI into the house PA. It is extremely articulate, and the Aggie does a nice job warming up the tone.