1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not well known brand... UNO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theleteri, Sep 12, 2008.

1. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    i love the lakland dj4 that i have on lay-away! but i have recently played an "UNO" bass at the local uno guitar shop and it plays great!

it has tesla pickups (any good) a nice band name bridge (dont remember the brand). it is made of swamp ash, maple neck, rosewood fret board. the head-stock is a little longer so there is nore tention on the strings. it has a split single at the neck and a jazz at the bridge... the body of a p-bass and the neck of a skinny j-bass.

i am going tomorrow with my amp so i can hear what it sounds like on my rig. i love the look! the headstock is a little heavy but nothing that i cant get over.

what is all of your opinions on this brand... it is HUGE in korea (since it is a korean brand) but the bass i am looking at is a one-off and was made in the states by uno himeself. i met Uno the last time i was in and he sounded like he knew what he was doing. he has been in buiness since 2002 and i do not know his history before that.

the price is half of what the lakland is but he also has basses in the $3000 range...

HELP!!!

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I can't help you on the brand, but I stepped into the Uno shop yesterday while on my lunch hour (Tempe). If that's the store you were at, (my understanding is that it is his only store in the US), I checked out the same bass. It was P style with a nitro sunburst paint job. The basses seemed decent enough, although the brand is unknown to me, as are the Tesla p'ups. I am curious about them, also.

3. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I never tried their basses but they make really good pizza! :D

4. Thankful birds

Thankful birds

Jun 17, 2008
    Phoenix
    I love all of Uno's stuff. Good guys. I had them mod a bass for me and they did a great job. Uno is a big seller in the Asian market. He comes into Tempe frequently to run the store and is trying to break into the US market. My friend has one of his acoustics and it's amazing. He also made one of the best hollow-body six strings I've ever played, but refuses to make any more as it is really time consuming. Most of his guitars are factory made, but he does handmake a lot of the ones in the Tempe showroom.

As far as Teslas, they are Korean made pickups that are found most commonly in Spector basses. I have Tesla pickups in my p-bass and they're great. Very, very punchy. Not much grit, so if that's what you're into they aren't for you.

Now, as far as Imo's pizza, best friggin' pizza in the world, provided you're from the 'Lou. I moved to Phoenix and can't seem to explain the appeal to people of provel, or cracker-like crust. There's a place here I just found that claims to make St. Louis style pizza with actual provel called Frasher's, but I haven't been able to check it out yet. Here's hoping, I miss that and Schlafly's like crazy.

5. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    :rollno::eek::)

6. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    I believe Uno is a graduate of Roberto Venn. I have an acoustic guitar from his company; it's pretty good for the retail price.

7. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I like the game Uno!!!

8. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    I know I'm a few years late, but where is the Uno shop at? I live in Scottsdale and I've been trying to identify this fantastic bass for a few months; the guy who sold it to me said it was an Uno, but I thought they stopped making basses (they might have, too, considering this post is years old.) If the shop is still open, do you know where, approximately, it is in Tempe?