Not what it used to be....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Sep 9, 2002.

1. I'm back....

I don't know what the heck has happened to my

The day I bought it (used) it sounded great. That was a year ago.

But now, it just sounds like it really doesn't live up the the good things that are always said about them.

The preamp does not work, but even in passive mode, it does not sound like a bass comparable to a Stingray. I mean I just got a freakin' Workingman's 4004 w/ 2x10 and 1x15 Workingman cabs, and the sound is just really dry and lifeless.

I live in LA. I'm gonna hit up the G&L factory up in Fullerton and demand them to make my L-2000 sound as good as it should!!!

P.S. Dean Markley SR2000s are the most unreliable strings I have ever had the misfortune of buying!!! Yesterday, i put on a new set, today, they sound dead. I'm so pissed off!!! Never again will I purchase strings from that crap of a company.
  2. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Change the battery.
  3. Well, I don't know what kind of tones you like, but that pre-amp might be more important than you think. After that I'd start comparing other Amps and Cabs b/c I personally odn't like the sound of the Workingman's Series. Too dry and sterile, exactly as you put it.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if your preamp doesn't work, there's your problem.

after you get it fixed you'll fall in love with it again. i know that for a fact.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I agree, and slap some SIT's on that baby!
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well.. its sucks about the bass not working.. but have you changed the battary recently?? If thats not the problem.. then... take it somewhere and have it fixed
  7. that's what i said, the preamp does not work at all.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :rolleyes: how can you tell that the strings sound dead when the bass is having problems?

have you changed the battery, like folks have been suggesting? what kind of battery are you using? i wouldn't use anything but duracell or energizer.
  9. OK...

Let me explain.

Whenever I put a battery (fresh) in the bass, I get a loud hiss in passive mode, and when I put it in active, there is a huge volume drop w/ the loud hiss.

So, i'm sure the preamp is the problem.

Do the Workingman's Series sound that bad?
  10. Those Workingmans amps are OK, but the cabs are crap IMO, not a patch on the Goliath ones. I'm sorry to sound so brutal, but when I A/B'd them, it was like night and day.
  11. Before you run over to G&L, get a few estimates from your local stores. If you bought it used, chances are the warrenty is void. G&L may try to charge you more for the repair than an independant store, or even a chain store.

Like JT said, how can you tell the strings are bad if the bass isn't working right?

I have the SWR WM2004, and I like it. I've never tried to cabs, but my rig sounds great, and suits me for all practical purposes. IME, you can get a wide range of tones through any bass/ amp setup.
  12. Guys, go ahead and let him chase the amp/cab solution. It'll be an expensive lesson but one that he needs to learn. :rolleyes:
  13. no lets not let him do that. thats why he came to the TB community for help.:rolleyes: :D
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree. sounds like there's a loose ground wire in the instrument somewhere. probably a minor thing.