SOLD Not your typical Fender Road Worn 50's Precision Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by _godspeed_, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Price:
    $850
    Strings:
    I told my wife I will never sell this bass...Trading is not selling, right? :D

So, here it is. My beloved Fender Road Worn 50's Precision Bass in 2-tone sunburst. I have a special place in my heart for this one. I bought it from bass player of Carly Rae Jepsen(this bass have seen some big stages) and played it almost exclusively for the last 1.5 years. I just came to a conclusion that 1.75" nut is too wide for my short fingers...otherwise I would never sell it or traded it, because is sounds and feels like a real vintage Fender.

Condition : it is made in 2009 and has a bit of different relicing than current Road Worns, and it was a working instrument of a touring bass player so it has more character and mojo than a new Road Worn P from Guitar Center. Maple is more yellowed, feels more played in, though fret life is very good(I mainly used flats on this bass). Beautiful 2-piece alder body, very light(8.6 pounds, but could be lighter - brass pickup plate adds a lot of weight)

Here're few upgrades I did :
    - shielded all cavities
    - Fender Pure Vintage '58 pickup
    - Emerson vintage wiring(pots, jack, cap, cloth wiring)

Basically all period correct electronics and it's dead quiet. Sounds and feels just as good as AVRIs. Comes with a really nice vintage style teardrop hard case.

Looking for straight up trade for Fender MIA Standard Precision, but might consider Lakland Skyline/Duck Dunn P's with narrower nuts.

If you're in USA, I will ship bass from my US address, so it will be cheaper for both of us.

Here's a soundclip I did last year - recorded directly into Tascam GB-10 without any processing. Just straight up bass into recorder. Please don't mind my sloppy playing. It was strung with a set of new Chromes.

Dropbox - GB0000_0049.wav

Here're some videos of this exact bass(but with a black pickguard) :

And photos :

img_0607-jpg.jpg
    img_0611-jpg.jpg img_0613-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. johntone

johntone Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2007
    New York City
    does this have a nitro/laquer finish ?

3. Yes it does! That's why it ages so nicely! Just like a pair of raw denim - the older it gets, the better it looks :)

4. johntone

johntone Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2007
    New York City
    ah -ok.
    all i have to trade is a 62' reissue jazz bass - from the 1st year fender introduced the series - 1982 .
    with an SKB flight case.
    but this is worth $2,300 - IMO

5. Looking for a straight up trade for a Precision at the moment.

6. UPDATE : added a sound clip

7. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Sweet!! Andrew, if you consider a local sale, let me know. Only trade bait is a 1991 St Hamm Urge bass....

8. All PM's replied!

9. Might consider selling, PM me with offers!

10. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?!

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Pm sent

11. Just put a Jazz neck on it like I did with mine. Problem solved. I sanded the back of the neck and it feels comfy and broken in just like an old friend. Of course now I have a "new" RW neck gathering dust.

12. Problem is I hate jazz necks :) I'm just not very comfortable with 1.75" nut. 1.5" is too tiny, 1.625" is perfect :)

hook_off likes this.
  13. Now available for sale! Will go lower if you're from the west coast

14. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    You do realize the Duck Dunn Lakland has a Jazz style neck with a 1.5 nut, right? and the Fender Road Worns have a 1.625 neck...at least my two do...Fiesta Red & Sunburst... so if a 1.625 is perfect you should already have that on your RW. and from your posted photos your RW has the
    cig burn on the head so it appears to be a stock neck...and should be a 1.625 nut.

15. Just checked my Road Worn again just to make sure I'm not going crazy and it's close to 1.75" nut. And it's confirmed on Fender website.

16. klharper

klharper

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah you're right, the 50's RWs should all be just about 1.75" nut
    But Duck Dunn's/etc. are known for their 1.5" jazz neck

17. By bad, I didn't know Duck Dunn was 1.5. Looking for 1.625 or so then :)

18. Pending sale!

19. SOLD!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021