1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Notation Question - Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    How do you notate (standard music notation) a slide into a note on a bassline like the chorus (& verses) of the disco hit Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now? (Beat 3 of bar 1) Check out my line. Is it correct?

Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now

Attached Files:

2. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Yep, that's it! Just add a line from the Bb grace note to the C to indicate it's a slide (or a slur would be acceptable too from a traditional notation standpoint, though for bass and guitar that usually means a hammer-on, so I'd go with the line).

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That's actually a grace note but with just a half step, it's essentially the same thing. A slide is notated using the glissando symbol like this:

glissando-squiggly.

4. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    btw, I think you probably just want 4 flats for the key sig, right? Ab major?

And the notes at the end of bar 1 and beginning of bar 2 are Cb-C-Cb-C.

5. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Right, but with such a short space, I think a straight line is more practical, and pretty commonly used.

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks guys, that's what I thought. Seeing as it's a quick slide on the beat, I was wondering if it needed the slide or gliss on the grace note annotation.

I am not sure about the key signature. The intro (and pre-choruses) seems like Ab, but the verse and choruses are Bbm.

I'll check out that Cb - C part you mention PTB. I never liked reading Cb's!

7. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Screw the Cb's then -- just B natural!

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    And here we go with the amendments. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

9. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Beauty! :)