Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Notation Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by stephanie, Jan 30, 2001.

1. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I've been playing the bass for about a year. I heavily work with lesson books and also take lessons.

In wanting to be able to read music well, I was just wondering if someone can help me with a couple notations that appear in some of my books above the staff:

For example: I know that "S" means slap.

What does "T" mean? And does "P" mean finger pop?

Thanks,

~Stephanie

[Edited by stephanie on 01-30-2001 at 03:49 AM]

2. T means thumb, and yes P means pop. S may mean slur, where two notes are joined by a tie, and usually only the first note is plucked. BTW, congratulations Stephanie, for learning to read real music, and not TAB, you are on the way to being a great bassist, and in far shorter time than the people who try to justify TAB. Reading bassists are in short supply, and in my own experience, it opens a lot of doors that are closed to non-reading players.

[Edited by Marty Forrer on 01-30-2001 at 04:48 AM]

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "S" can still equal SLAP; as in the Left-hand(fretting hand)slap technique.
    If I see this-
    /T-S-T-P...etc/

That, to me, sez: Thumb-Slap-Thumb-Pop.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, as I understand it in notation of slap technique:

T = Thumb (slap)
    P = Pop (finger)
    S = Slide from one pitch to the next

It's (S) usually also shown by a straight line (as opposed to a curved "slur" marking) between the two pitches. I may be wrong, but that's the way I've usually seen it notated.

5. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks guys for the reply..

Still a little confused on some points here but I'm sure I'll be able to clear up my confusion.

My bass instructor was showing me some slap bass cuz he 'shows off' with it a lot and I told him I'd love to learn it. So he was teaching me some stuff. I have a book at home here.

Here is how notation is listed in this book: S=thumb slap, P=index finger pop, MS/MP=muted slap/muted pop, LS=left hand slap, PM=palm mute, TP=thumb pop, IF/MF=index/middle finger slap.

I haven't really begun working with this book. It looks a little hard for me yet. LOL.

Now when you said "T" means thumb, did you also mean thumb pop? or thumb slap? I see "T", "P" and "S" quite a lot in sheet music.

It seems like "S" can maybe mean both slap and slur. There's also the case of "PH". Is that pop while hammering-on?