Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Notation Software

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I'm using Encore. It's easy, small, fairly powerful, and obsolete -- no updates for years; the company is out of business. Rumor has it that Encore will not work with WinXP, so I'm starting the seach now.

What do you composers and transcribers out there like (besides pencil & paper), and how much did you have to pay?

Thanks for your help, folks.

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    PrintMusic from Coda Music. It is a stripped down version of Finale, but for notation purposes, it is basically the same (uses the same commands, etc.) Cost is $69.95, comes with a nice add-on font that looks like Real Book charts, you can publish your scores on the web, scan in scores (this function, like most of the scanner options, is pretty weak), and while not exactly easy to use, is more user-friendly than Finale used to be. I've used it successfully for everything from doing lead sheets to arranging parts for our church orchestra.

Monte

3. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I use two of them depending on what I am doing.

Tabedit and Noteworthy I got both of them off the net. As i recall they were less than $50 each.

Both work well and are easy to use my wife calles it chimp frindly.

I like tabedit best because it will let me look at diffrent fingerings and use fingerings to enter the notes and gives output as notes/tabs or both or individualy. It does cord charts too and does tabs for several dozen diffrent instruments.

If I do something for other people to look at I use Noteworthy as you can do a whole score with it.

I do not count myself as a power user for ethier and customer service is good with both.

I have tried other programs that cost several hundreds of dollars that did not work anywhere as good at the two above in fact I can't remember the expencive programs names.
    Joe

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Finale, hands down. There's nothing it can't do, they keep making it better and better, and with each update it gets easier to use. I got my first version back in '90 (ca. $400), upgraded in about '94 or '95, and am just about to get a free copy of the latest from one of the schools where I teach. I think you can get a pretty substantial educational discount if you are a college student. Another way around this is to find a student who has no need for the program and get them to order it for you.

I've seen other programs, but could never recommend them since Finale kills everything I've seen by a mile. And you never know when you might need some of the things it can do.

Good luck.

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I keep hearing a lot about "Sibelius", I don't know how much it costs, I also have Encore and I love it, I've had it for over 5 years easy to use and I can get everything I need from it, seems like I better start looking, I also have Finaly 2001, it's very complicated, and I know so many people using Finaly and honestly their charts are no better than mine!;)

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have sibelius, and it is excellent. It costs about the same as finale, but I personally like it much better. Check out the Demo at www.sibelius.com
    it will do everything but let you save.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A lot of the Jazz pros I have met and 3 people in my band have Sibelius - they all recommend it. I've got a fair number of scores produced using this and the writers/arrangers in our band have had to make frequent amendments to parts as we changed singers last Summer and they had different ranges!! :D

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I'll throw my vote in for Finale, it's packed with features that you may not use today but will probably need to use tomorrow.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I was also using encore, but like you said, it's not working with XP or 2000. SO now I use finale 2001, not as easy to use as encore, but it is very good.

10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I was pleasantly surprised to learn today that Encore is now made by gvox software in an XP-compatible version.

This is not a paid endorsement. It's a sigh of relief that I don't need to recombobulate ten years of compositions into a new program. Phew!

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    +11. Finale goes to Eleven !

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    So far I like Sibelius 3.1 better than Finale 2004, haven't seen Finale 2005 yet, though.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    You would say that... :smug:

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

joke

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wow, an old thread that causes me to eat my own words...what a surprise! :rolleyes: :D

After waiting for almost two years for Finale to become OSX compatible, I finally gave up and bought Sibelius last December. All I can say is that after one month on Sibelius, I felt more at home than after 15 years on Finale. Especially nice is the method of entereing chord changes on Sibelius: just click on the note in question, and type the symbol you want - the fonts and superscripting are automatic. What a relief! Even nicer is the online tech support. When I post a notation question on their "help forum", I usually get multiple answers within the hour, and no waiting on the phone. Nice people there, too.

17. Although I am still relatively new to music notation programs, I recently bought a copy of Sibelius 3 and it is turning out to be far more comfortable for me to use than Finale. I especially like the Sibelius method of entering chord symbols. I'm also becoming interested in the Sibelius PhotoScore program. Does anyone here have any hands on experience using the full Professional version of PhotoScore (as opposed to the "lite" version that they throw in with Sibelius)? I would like to know how well the Pro version does with recognizing typical lead sheet notation such as chord symbols and irrational rhythms such as triplets, etc.

18. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Firstly, Sibelius is in my opinion a far superior program to Finale. I have heard of lots of Finale users that have become Sibelius users but I have of few (in fact I know of none) that have made the reverse switch. I've used it since the first version and it just keeps getting better in leaps and bounds. Yes Finale can do a lot. The thing is though that Sibelius is far, far easier to use and both the program and the notation output are more pleasing to the eye.

Bob, I have the full version of Photoscore and it works very well. However I don't typically use it for simple lead sheets. For one thing, it doesn't do too well with chord symbols. And I guess any lead sheet written in a "jazz" or "handwriting" font will be hard to recognise. Secondly, I am fast enough with Sibelius input (which I do all through the computer keyboard) that I can enter a leadsheet pretty quickly. What I have used Photoscore for is to handle the input of whole orchestral or band scores (printed in a "regular" music font) and it does well. Still tedious as you have to do correction both in the pre-process phase and then possibly a little bit after it's in Sibelius, but it's quicker than entering in all the parts.

19. Thanks for your "review" of PhotoScore Pro Adrian. I figured that the jazz or handwritten leadsheets wouldn't be recognized too well. However, the "lite" version has worked satisfactory with regard to the printed notes on several of the the charts I work with. I seem to be getting an error rate of around 10-15%. If it would do chords with that accuracy, that would be a big plus for me, but alas it doesn't sound like chord symbol recognition is good enough to justify the rather high cost of the Pro program.

20. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    re: Encore

I used to work for GVOX, the company now making Encore. They had done some nice stuff to the program to make it compatible with the newer operating systems, and the usability and results are just as nice as ever. They had some real crack programmers on the task, and for a while things looked real good for the program (and its little sister program, MusicTime Deluxe).

Alas, all went to pot after the dot-com fallout; unfortunately the company had a lot of stake in an internet-enabled notation system (a very BAD move, something I'd always felt but wasn't in a position to point out - I ran the tech support department, not the marketing department). The company went from having 60+ employees and millions in the bank - talking quietly about an IPO - to dropping down to a skeleton crew and bankrupt. A crying shame.

Anyway, the company still limps along, and the product is pretty good, and pretty solid. If you have a previous version, you can get an upgrade, and as long as you don't need extensive support you might do well to consider it. But if you're breaking into a new program, I'd consider Sibelius.