"Notch Filter" or tone transistor?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by badgrandad, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. I was wondering if I was able to isolate a fairly narrow bandwidth of tone I wanted to cut (i.e. to improve the tone of a particular bass) can I just wire in a transistor/capacitor or whatever to notch out that area of the tone without effecting as broad an area as a typical tone circuit would effect? If so how do I find out what electronic part I would need once I isolated the bandwidth?
  2. hey bud, here is a link to some useful notch filter information ..... a notch filter is basically a low pass filter and a high pass filter brought together ..... you didn't specify whether you required a passive or active filter but there are many fine articles on the internet explaining both ..... if you want the bandwidth of the filter to be very narrow, you need to increase the order of the low/high pass filters ...... blah blah blah murmle murmle :smug:


    hopefully it makes sense to you and solves your conundrum
  3. ddnidd1

    ddnidd1 Supporting Member

    Or get a parametric.
  4. DavidRavenMoon

    DavidRavenMoon Inactive

    Oct 20, 2004
    If you want a passive filter you can use a coil and a capacitor. This was the basis of Gibson's Varitone, and also the midrange choke on the Ripper bass.

    I have used the audio transformers from RadioShack as inductors, and then used different value caps. It's wired like a tone control, but with the inductor between the cap and ground.
  5. It all makes sense... just wanting to implement it without having to add any more gear. I feel pretty certain I can locate the offending tones, but just swapping out the most offending pickup (neck Carvin H?? p'up)with a better quality one may be the more direct answer.
  6. Would the Yamaha NE-1 do what you're looking to do?